Ideas on next car

You forgot to mention whether any semblance of practicallity was necessary, so I'll say MK Indy R1.

You 'could' get one together for 4 grand.

There - I feel better now. Not that it's going to happen obviously...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'd look around to see what was about.

If this is a second car, my advice would be a rover v8 engine mounted into something reasonably light and aerodynamic, probably with no roof.

There are faster cars with more power but it would be an amazingly drivable car with deep joy.

Reply to
Questions

There's a lot more to an XJS than the engine. A good 6 is going to set you back over that, and I've seen figures of £15k for a V12 that's properly fettled.

Reply to
Doki

My new aim in life is to get hold of/make a mk1 MR2 Supercharger, so thats what i'd go for :) Other choices would be a Nissan 200SX, a mint Rover SD1, an Impreza WRX or a

309 Goodwood.
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

There's loads around, such as

?ViewItem&item=4503991440&rd=1
?ViewItem&item=4504326223&rd=1
's are very cheap for what you get.Of course there's more than the engine, but it goes without sayingthat if you can build the engine then you can pretty much do all therest. Of course there are some for 15k, but we're looking for a runabout here, not a show car.

Reply to
jeremy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtconnect.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I was there, and remember when a Smiley was something you wore ona T shirt to a Club.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

A superbike if its all about speed.

But for a car, for £4k, i'd probly have a 106 GTi or 306 GTi-6 or summet.

Reply to
DanTXD

priority. Any ideas

above what would YOU

hmm not bad choices, i used to have a little run in with a 306 GTi in the mornings on the way to work when i had my MK1, there quick but there wasn't to much in it once above 50 or so.

Reply to
Vamp

love a MK1 supercharger but the rust issue on mk1's bother me.

if it wasn't for my MR2 turbo i'd of gone 200SX or skyline GTS-T

like the impreza but in essex there pretty much the new escort round here :(

Reply to
Vamp

Just found out you can get a previous shape BMW 728i with Tiptronic for £3.5k.... how tempting is that?

Reply to
SteveH

Heh (c:

I wish I was a Dolphin...

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

To me, not at all :)

Reply to
DanTXD

I've driven one. They're a fantastic car. IMHO, of course.

Reply to
SteveH

But the 728? It's a leeeetle engine for the car. 740, maybe.

Richard (nearly bought a P-reg 740i instead of the Beetle)

Reply to
RichardK-PB

I could just about afford the petrol for a 728, but a 740 would quickly bankrupt me. 15p / mile doesn't go very far.

Reply to
SteveH

"RichardK-PB" wrote

They go OK, a friend of mine has a 728. Allegedly got the speedo to read

145mph and that wasn't in the garage on axle stands.

I've only been a passenger. Its not quick, but its adequate. It passed the "0-100-0mph before the end of the drive" test. So does my 2.6 Carlton though.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Mmmmm'kay.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Locost.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Scoobys are quick but the gearboxes are made of glass. Mine has had 1 rebuild already and I don't even launch it that hard or drive it on high boost. The later model ones had a stronger box. Other than that they are a great car.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Can't go wrong with a GTS-t. Fast, comfy and reliable as hell. Only prob is insurance.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston