If I were buying a car

Which I'm not doing for definite, but I might be....

I would be looking for the following.

200lbs/ft of torque at least. Ideally this should happen from under 2,000 rpm. Auto. (I'm building a 500kg track car with a sequential paddle shift and 10,500rpm limit so I don't need to change gear going to work. ) 30mpg on LPG or 50mpg on Diesel. Minimum budget - around a grand. Any less buys garbage Maximum budget £3,000. Gets you anything you want except Italian exotica.

What to get ?

I know what I think, but would appreciate the disparate views of y'all.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Well, personally I'd buy a late 90s LPG Jeep Cherokee / Ford Exploder or an earlier LPG Rangie V8. They're all decent tow cars to drag your toy along with, and you should get any of them for less than two grand in decent nick.

But that's me, and I want a Jeep/Rangie/Exploder to go along with the Mazda and Puma :-)

Mike P

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Unfortunately, all of the above won't better more than about 18mpg or thereabouts. I'm afraid that's no use to me. The Cherokee takes crap handling to a whole new level too. Less grip than I have ever experienced in any other vehicle.

Nearly forgot, don't need race car handling, want it to be ever so slightly to the french side of the German/French handling vs comfort equation.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Simple choice. 4 doors, comfy, plenty of choice, autos and manuals, 221lb ft diesel with good MPG, wide choice of petrols if you want to gas one up. Suspension tuned for comfort but the chassis is good for throwing about if you don't mind bodyroll. I've owned one so it must be one of the best cars in the world.

Rover 75.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hadn't though of those.

Peter Simpson (Ex Practical Classics and Car Mechanics Ed. Sells loads of them on ebay and is a big fan.)

That's one to think about.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

My dad hired one last time he was over, it wasn't a bad car at all. Not my sort of thing, but for what you want it would be perfect. Comfy too IIRC.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

You might actually scrape an Octavia 2 in lower spec with the 2.0pd 140 and dsg for that money.

Reply to
Elder

The following catch my eye for various reasons.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Ford Mondeo TDCi.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

They are all good choices, but I don't think you'll hit yor MPG.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Great, if you like rebuilding the slush-box every other week.

Reply to
SteveH

Ford Mondeo TDCi.

Makes sense.

Especially if I forego the auto trans. Loads on sale for under £3,000.

Today I have also mentally added an E46 320D / 330D to the list.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Volvo 850 T5. A later auto with all the toys is well within the lower half of you budget and if you get the estate you'll have plenty of space for track car related gubbins

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Don't need to change gear as often as a petrol - just plant foot down=20 and let the torque do the work.

Shedloads around with full main dealer service history so no need to=20 settle for any less. Make sure there's no knocking from the rear and no=20 vibrations when changing gear.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

If you remove the auto trans, there's much more possibilites for your other criteria.

Reply to
Chris Bartram