In need of an age-disguising plate....

Nothing flashy, just for a van, but I quite fancy the idea of something with lots of similar numbers/letters, and ideally don't want anything more than the bog standard DVLA £250 price band.

Best ones so far seem to be:

J800 OOB

P33 EEE

......the ideal would be something like B888 BBB, or S555 SSS - any other suggestions - could try something with VAN in it, maybe, but I prefer the similar numbers/letters theme.

Any ideas? And out of those two, what should I get?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

P33 EEE is better :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Would that be to do with employers requiring a newer van than you want to run? :-)

(FWIW if it is, my sympathies are with you)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

S555SSS is on a PT Cruiser near where I live.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Well, not employers, people I contract to, but yes. The van I'm looking at getting is extremely well looked after, and has had one very careful owner from new, and is absolutely immaculate, and if it had a private plate there would be virtually nothing distinguishing it from a 1/2 year old one.

In all honesty, I've never seen the age restriction as a major problem - there are tax advantages to buying new and chopping in at 4 years old, plus the obvious peace of mind etc. as well that goes with it, and having had a couple of odd annoying things go on slightly older vans, it's not a bad way to do it, and it's not *that* much more expensive. But it still involves a lot of capital investment (or a big finance agreement) and I'd much rather buy something decent that's unlikely to have any major bills, and that's a bit older, and change every couple of years, with depreciation costing me very little.

So many people see "less than 4 years old" as buying new and getting shot at

4 years old. I see it as buying the best possible value van I can find at 2-3 years old, and running it as long as I can get away with (until nearly 5 years old). Much cheaper :-)

FWIW I've also done the sums comparing how I do things, with a full maintenance contract hire agreement, and there's very little in it, especially considering the hassle-free aspect of CH, but I've been somewhat disorganised over the last couple of years, accounts-wise (*cough* to say the least *cough*) so I'm limited in the funders the leasing companies can offer me deals through, and the one leasing company that offered me what was, on the face of it, a very attractive deal, turned out to be a big bunch of lying sharks, with "unfair contract terms" being the understatement of the century. So I'm sticking to the "quasi-bangernomics" way of operating for now!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Do us a favour and leave a note on their windscreen for us ;-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Hey, will do! Drop me your details at neal{dot}aberdeen{at}orange.net and I'll pass 'em on!

Reply to

If it's got a 'P' reg on it, they might think "OMG he's driving a near 10 yr old van" ;)

Reply to
Bigus

Heh - I was half-joking as they'll probably want to hang onto it, but it's worth a try :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

They might do. But it's a late shape Transit in immaculate condition, so I doubt it just a bit! (-c:

Reply to
AstraVanMan