Let the chaos begin

I bet it has when you figure in the costs of the mods. Thats like me saying I bought an old banger jag and spent 20 grand restoring it and got back 10 grand more than I paid originally. There is a very few cars that will appreciate. Like the Enzo Ferrari. But they are very few.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Well: you're wrong.

The main reason is that since 1997 Lotus realised that the Elise was a winner on their hand. So from then on each year the Elise became a lot more expensif. The Elise at Brussels Motor Show back in 1997 was advertised at 12.500 UKP...

The Elise back in 1999 was sold for 1.000.000 BF (16.700UKP), the actual price for an (standard) Elise is now 51.250 Eur (34.200 UKP). So the price of a standard Elise doubled in about 5 years time. I don't know a lot of cars to which that has happened.

The owner is of the meticulous kind: he has every bill from oil, tires to actual fuel... He added all bills which are not consumables and that was his selling price: 23.000 UKP.

Don't call in: the car is sold.

Again I think otherwise: the Enzo can't do but go down in value. It has no racing heritage and it will be surpassed. F40 and F50, even the McLaren all fetch lower prices than when they were new.

Maintenance on those cars is critical: the maintenance bill each 10000 km on a Diablo is 3500 UKP. For the McLaren you can return the car to Woking...

I inspect those cars for clients: after optical inspection (the cars must be pristine)the next step is always the same: a sample of oil, brake fluid, water and if accessible gearbox oil is sent to a Shell labo. From there on we know if maintenance has been done and if the correct fluids are used. On an F40 wrong or aged oil in the engine can and will cut the price in half.

Your remarque of a restored old banger is valid though: restored cars which make a profit for the man who paid the restorating bill are even rarer than cars which value goes up.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

my dad's MG midget did, well if he kept it :) cost him £400 nearly new at the time, probably add a zero to that today as it was a 60's chrome bumper nicer looking type if i remember right.

Reply to
Vamp

His MR2 will cost considerably more to fix even if/when the head goes on the TF.

My dad has an MGF, head gasket gone cost £450 to repair (well), if vamp pops anything major at all then he's into serious money to fix it.

Like you say with the money you save of list price you can afford a bit of k-series related randomness.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Out of interest Steve where did you find that particular one? My dad is looking into this as he has an MGF and would certainly go for a newer one at that king of price.

TIA

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Low milage jap import motor from front cut = f*ck all.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

It isn't a repair it's an upgrade ;)

You can buy a Jap low mileage engine bare for =A3600, or with Turbo and=20 both manifolds for =A3900.

--=20 Carl Robson "Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf" (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

Sleeker GT Phwoar

MR2= rear cut Frazer, I know you're upside down at home, and water goes the wrong way down the plug, but surely, you don't reverse everywhere too :0

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Here they still car rear cuts front cut. Wierd isn't it?

Fraser

PS he could buy a front cut Celica for the motor. ; )

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Not half as weird as that first sentence was :)

Reply to
LordyUK

Damn stubby fingers. Car = call.

Fraser