lowering..

Ok, figured a few of you might know a bit about this.

Especially that Dojj bloke..

I've been told that it's not a wise move lowering a 4be estate too far, but mine's on stilts. It's daft. The XR4be is standard ride height, but it's done 104k and it's pretty obviously on the original springs. It's lower than the G reg, lowered, 4be I had a few weeks ago the the extent of when they were parked side by side the G reg mirrors were about 2" higher than the ones on the D plater.

The estate is on 17"s, which doesn't help.. it's on Konis, and all the daft self levelling b0ll0cks has been removed from the back, but it's higher than Cheech and Chong.

Now, my problem is this, I don't want to lose it's carrying abilities too much, and it certainly corners far better than the XR, but according to bloke I bought it off it's likely to turn the driveshafts into drill bits if I lower it too far due to the extra loadings.. but it looks daft...

Can I get away with 35mm droppage do you think? My Cosworth was slammed at the front, but only slightly lowered at the back. This combination worked fine, but the Cossie was only 2wd..

What do you lot reckon?

-- Pete M

Ford Capri (presently dead) - Sierra XR4x4 Sierra 4x4 Twin Turbo Estate COSOC #5 Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

Reply to
Pete M

This is an easy one. You want it lowered, but want to still have reasonable use of the carrying capacity. Pallet of engineering brick slid right in through the tailgate will soon have it lower than a particularly devious snake's 'nads.

I'll get me coat......

:-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

hydrulics? :)

Reply to
Vamp

Hacksaw? :-)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I'm not at all convinced you'd get any actual benefit from lowering it. Handling wise, I mean.

Front, yes, low and twitchy front might be tighter and more responsive, but it is an estate. Also, a slack back axle is usually good handling on a RWD. As yours is a 4x4 I would worry about dropping the front too much.

If you want to have more stablity at high speed, lowering the chassis / body makes sense, this isn't your current problem? More control at normal speeds on rough roads / hard cornering, you want harder springs, they don't have to lower the car at all. The self-levelling ones gave you the ability to load huge quantities of Beer in the boot without it sagging under the weight. A good feature in an estate.

Reply to
Questions

I like low :)

Chet

Those links might not work, blame Ronny :)

Reply to
Chet

What you need is lower height but harder springs. Kills two birds with one stone. And your kidneys every time you go over a bump.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Fraser Johnston decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, indeed it does, but it also destroys ride quality. The Koni set up on the G plate 4x4 was a good compromise, I might enquire as to whether BBR do springs for the estate. The suspension set up on Ye Olde Cossie was mainly BBR and it worked well.. Phone call to 'em tomorrow methinks..

Reply to
Pete M

now take pics of your fat ass outta the car :)

Reply to
Vamp

Suspension is all about compromise. Easy solution is to have a comfy car and a race car. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston