Re: More car wonderings

Hurry up!! It's close to xmas, good deals abound. Raise your budget and haggle harder.

Reply to
fishman

I'm a tad bankrupt for budget raising, what with the insurance company keeping a bloody big portion of my premium or charging me stupid rates for a different car.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" wrote

Which is why you haggle harder (it's xmas - bad for car salesmen, good for buyers). Start looking at cars £650 and above and haggle very hard down to your, IMSMC, £500 budget.

Be willing to travel, too.

Always remember that when you are trying hard to find a car, you're guaranteed to not find one until you've plumped for second best ;)

Try a car auction, bargains galore this time of year. The trade are reluctant and only buy dead certs that will walk off the forecourt. That leaves all the interesting stuff to you, and cheap.

Reply to
fishman

"Vamp" wrote

BS. The MK2 is a fine car if you get a good one. Even a bad one is still better than a good Astra GTE/Escort XR3i - they are worth every penny and don't lose any value. Remember when you buy a car you're spending the depreciation and running costs. With a Golf GTi you onl pay the running costs!

Less BS on this front though - sadly Golf GTi insurance is ridiculous, infact it's ridiculous on any MK2 Golf, although my friend insured her first car as a MK2 8v GTi at age 22 for only £600 (no ncb) through Feminazi Diamond

Reply to
fishman

agreed. A car popular with chavs should not be ignored. unless you "chav the car up" then you have nothing to worry about.

325i has LSD on most years (if not all) IIRC
Reply to
Mason

No it didnt!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

have you looked?

theres plenty in *any* BMW mag or autotrader.

Reply to
Mason

How much more can an old ford depreciate?.. and they cost pennies to service and run...

Actually Xr3's are rising in value at the mo...

Reply to
chris

well thats not exactly what you said :o)

Reply to
Mason

I haven't. Because I'd much rather have a hatch.

Reply to
Doki

yes. you did say youd much rather have a hatch but you also said

Odds of finding a decent

and this is not true.

Reply to
Mason

See the last sentence of this paragraph?

Are you sure?

Reply to
Doki

In news:Us5rd.1009$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.ntli.net, chris decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

*Far, Far better* than the Escrot or Ashtray.

Capris are too :-D

My recommendations for £500 motors are as follows

Merc 260E - Mine's ace, and wasn't much more than £500 Granada / Scorpio - but the insurance on 2.9s is daft. Golf GTi - Cos they *rock* Golf Driver 1.8 - Cos they can be tweaked cheaply and cost less to insure Audi 80 Sport - but they're rare in decent nick Alfa 164 - but the insewerance can be daft Sierra XR4x4 - Insewerance again Volvo 760 GLE I.R.S - Buttons to buy, leather, AC, 2.9 V6, cheap to insewer.

Reply to
Pete M

309 GTis are actually superb cars. Sure they rattle, but they go well, handle as well as a 205 - better in some respects, and cost less to insewer.

They're s**te, ignore 'em. The 220's go well though.

They're not bad akchewelly, but the RWD ones were uglier and far better.

Aye, ignore. Primera eGTs are rather good though, and they're in range.

Agreed, but they are quick and they handle strangely well.

And they're s**te.

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Carl Gibbs decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Correct.

The 323i was a barrel of laughs to drive. I had one of those and nearly liked it.

Reply to
Pete M

Actually, thinking about it, Peter AshtrayVanMan has a 1.8 carb Golf Mk2 you could probably have cheap.

Reply to
Pete M

Erm, both mine had electric roof and mirrors, but manual windows...

It has to be said, the police tend to pull these over a lot... and if you've nothing to hide, it's not a problem, but can become a right PITA.

Reply to
JackH

You forgot the bit about 'fuel economy', or rather the lack of it - they're horrendous on fuel, and don't feel all that quick either.

It's when you floor it down wet country lanes that they come into their own, in the 'smile on face' stakes.

Reply to
JackH

The 216 Twin Cam and 220 n/a have similar performance, main difference being you have to rev the 216 harder to get at it (which is half the fun). Meanwhile, the 216 has better handling (due to lighter weight over the front end), by comparison is bullet proof, doesn't insist on pissing oil everywhere, and doesn't have problematic engine sensor, either.

Reply to
JackH

*cough* head gasket *cough*
Reply to