Mini Road Test :- Fiat Punto 1.4 Evo

1.4 litres of throbbing 8 valve power... Much more willing than yesterday's Meriva. Much shorter geared too, but even though it revved a little higher on the
motorway, it was more pleasant with it. Evo name is however a trifle misleading, unless they're referring to the gluey smell from the interior trim.
Having said that, the interior was much more robust than Fiats of yore which had the same quality trim as the inlays in a Christmas selection box. I quite liked this one actually. Don't know if I could commit money to one though.
Tomorrow's test. Peugeot 207 1.4HDI. I bet you can hardly wait.
Still to come, Hyundai I20, Fiesta something or other and Corsa blah.
(We have new pool cars at work which are there for the spanking.)

Evo is because it's an evolution of the Grande Punto.
--
SteveH

On 07/04/2011 17:45, Bob Sherunckle wrote:

It's a far cry from when all cooncil vehicles were mini pickups.
--
Douglas

Mini Pickups ?
I'll see your mini pickups and raise you Bedford HA vans ? 1159cc pushrod engines with 50 something hp.
On 07/04/2011 23:26, Bob Sherunckle wrote:

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/truck-and-van-blog/HA.JPG
Nice.
In the days when personal vehicle ownership was much less widespread, my father worked for Glasgow Corporation or more probably Strathclyde Cooncil.
At the time, apparently all pool vehicles were Mini pickups, the theory being they were cheap, uniform and of high utility. They even went to trouble and expense of designing and building a load of mini garages to fit them (skinny and with low roofs so no other type of car would fit). The garages had to be demolished when they got rid of the Minis.
--
Douglas