Mk2 Golf injection woes

My spark plugs are dry :-(

Fuel is getting to the fuel distributor but it seems to be stopping there.

I have changed the fuel distributor from a working car but this has not solved the problem.

Also, how do I remove the injectors? The Haynes BoL suggests that you just give them a tug and out they pop. I've tried tugging but if I tug them any harder I'm afraid I'll break them.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
petrolcan

Tug harder. Or use a screwdriver to lever them out, they are just an interference fit but if they haven't been out for a while they'll be blinking stiff. Can't help on the lack of fuel although IMHO the mechanical injection is fairly trouble free and it's probably something simple.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Tug is a bit of an understatement, they varnish themselves in, to get them out you normally need a bit of bent metal to act as a puller ( CIS injector puller, Matco & snapon sell them for about £6)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you're really stuck Amazon sell How to Tune and Modify Bosch Fuel Injection by Ben Watson.

If you've got no flow then start by checking the pump, then filter, kinked fuel pipe & syatem pressure regulator.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Had a similar problem on my k jet mk2 gti. Turned out to be wiring to the lift pump. Fuel was still getting to the distributor, but presumably not under enough pressure. Be sure that both pumps are functional before you panic about the injectors. It is almost impossible that all the injectors would block or stop working simultaneously. If it was running on three I would look at them, but if it simply will not start its probably one of the pumps. Not really much to go wrong with the distributor, and the various warmup valves won't stop it from starting, it'll just be a bit rough from cold.

If you fold the back seats forwards and pull out the carpet, you can get to the lift pump, and trace the wiring back to where it splits to the main fuel pump. Mine had failed here, but it had been botched in the past.

Good luck!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

You obviosly have a vehicle fitted with Bosck 'K' mechanical injection. One possibility is lack of fuel pressure/delivery which may be caused by a defective pump. A major problem that these cars had was where the fuel tank filler neck rusts badly and deposits rust particles into the tank. These are pumped into the fuel lines and either block the fuel filter or , when the fuel filter fails , sieze the metering head. It is unusual for a metering head to fail suddenly on these cars unless something like rust contamination jams them - this only takes seconds. One nasty possibility is that you may now have two faulty metering heads!. Sorry for that but worth considering. Reagrds Group Mike

Reply to
Mike