Mondeo - what do you reckon?

Ever driven a 330 petrol? Bloodier Rapider...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Not if the diesel is chipped, it ain't. Only thing 3-series (standard) that's quicker than a chipped 330d is an M3! Tried and tested by my own car (straight-line standing start on a closed runway!), and various others up and down the country, go check on the BMW forums. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

chipped 330d is what, 250bhp? 1610kg? 330i is 258bhp, 1555kg.

So accelleration should always be quicker in the petrol car, unless the diesel is advantaged with even more boost. I reckon as well that looking at the figures they've geared the diesel to do 60 in 2nd like the petrol one does. 0-150 should be a different story.

Level the playing field and stick a turbocharger onto the 3.0 petrol and it'll be another league ahead!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, but look at the torque figures, that and the much flatter torque curve is where the diesel leaves the petrol for absolute dead. Chipped 330d has around 330lbft and if I recall correctly, about 235bhp.

My 330d did over 60 in 2nd, about 65 I think, it wouldn't do 150, but we're not (or at least I'm not) talking purely top speed, more acceleration out of a bend on normal roads, that's where the "real-world" difference is seen most.

Hmmm... now, that could be interesting! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

it is in a mag test, an E30 1.8 with a turbo on it and not much more than 200 bhp was almost as quick round a track as an E30 M3

Reply to
dojj

Your point being?

As I recall, a standard, road-going M3 only had 198bhp anyway.

Reply to
SteveH

Smart + LPG = less than the MINI most others use.

Running costs are way lower too.

Reply to
DervMan

Aaarrgh - the torque argument. Give me the 330 petrol anytime, just not the fuel bills.

Will admit to not having driven a 330d, but driven 530d and 530 petrol, very comparable day to day but the 530d was more waft-o-matic and the petrol one had more of a sense of occasion when you wanted to thrash.

535 / 335 rumoured to have 3l twin turbo petrol 6 with 330 bhp. That will be quick, light and efficient.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

On or around Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:36:11 -0000, "Tim S Kemp" enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, mid-range acceleration *is* all about torque.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

238 wasn't it?

Reply to
dojj

No. 198bhp for the standard model, 220bhp for the Evo.

Reply to
SteveH

238 for the 2.5 Evo.
Reply to
Pete M

see :p

Reply to
dojj

In message , Fraser Johnston writes

It's the seller that pays!!

Reply to
hugh

Er, yes, I think that's what he was saying. It's better that they have cheap car than expensive one if it's you who are paying for it.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Oops, yes, Misread the "than that" bit.

Reply to