My kind of modded car

Old style registration documents are drive by wire? How's that work then? :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Sledge hammer and lots of enthusiasm?

Reply to
DanTXD

Erm, no. I'm saying that for some swaps (Punto / Cento, or a lot of stuff using L-Jetronic / KE-jetronic) you can keep the car's own ECU. For the 1.8T swap you need to either go with carbs or a custom ECU - it really wouldn't be worth trying to bodge all the associated bits a 1.8T ECU expects to find into an older car.

Reply to
SteveH

What happens on a Mk4 golf with a 1.8T if one of the electric windows packs up, dose the engine stop working?

Reply to
Depresion

Yes, which is why you see hardly any 3 door models around. The ECU throws a wobbly when it spots the back doors are missing :)

Reply to
LordyUK

Well, I can't find any evidence of what they do, apart from loads of forum posts from people that have had their cars horribly bodged by them, getting them back with an ECU throwing up tens of error codes.

So, the evidence is that, yes, you can bodge the donor ECU, but it'll throw out a load of error codes.

Reply to
SteveH