Offer 2 On the R5 :o|

I'd suggest you drive one - an early 24 valve. Real granny car when driven slowly, but tightens up when pushed, and really flies. One of the nicest cars of its age.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was, however, the first Tyrrell of the turbo era, hence a special vehicle.

I saw that car somewhere else this week, only it was for sale at £600,000. I think it was a prestige dealer's website. It may not be the same vehicle, but it was a 96 model used by the Bigazzi team in Fina colours. I'd take the 1000bhp with a pinch of salt though. The restrictors used in GT racing meant that the racing versions had less power than the road-going equivalents.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

I know. We're planning an E36 M3 after this.

Reply to
Mason

I'm going to miss mine, that's for sure.

Reply to
JackH

But they're just a shit poseur's car. It's widely known that BMW lost the plot with that particular M3 - the E30 M3 was a much better car, the E36 was only a badge-engineering exercise.

Reply to
SteveH

BMW lost the plot after the E30, end of story.

Reply to
Pete M

Oh ffs... *you* don't happen to like them, therefore they must of course, be 's**te'.

The E30 was a more focussed car, granted, but a four pot one of that, which for me at least, isn't what BMW are best at... Regardless, it being a more focussed car, doesn't make the E36 M3, at least something which hasn't been badged up as one, a 's**te' car, either.

I'd happily have one, funds permitting, anyway.

Reply to
JackH

E34 came afterwards, and they're, when looked after, a decent enough, well built car.

Mason... welcome to 'uk.rec.car-racists.r.us'.

Reply to
JackH

They're widely regarded as a disgrace to the M-Tec badge, though. Not a proper M-series car at all.

Reply to
SteveH

There's some nice motors on that site. A few that get me going:

same model Mansell won the championship with, and stupidly cheap.
for under £40k.
quick car I've seen develop over the past few years at Castle Combe.

as cheap as F1 cars go (well, a Simtek went for £12k about 10 years ago IIRC)

for the road. 440bhp, 4WD, weighs nothing, +200bhp nitrous. Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

I challenge anyone that says that to spend some time with a car with decent power (my personal lower limit would probably be about 170bhp) and a good autobox.

My experience is that people who "hate" autos are talking pish - they've just never driven one.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Then so has every other maker, given the way new models are always larger and heavier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or some low powered clunker.

My father used to say the same - until he drove his boss's new P6 3500 in about '68. Even although it was a three speed with a second gear start under normal driving. He couldn't get over just how quick it was.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately, BMW have managed to combine heavier cars with ever decreasing build quality.

Have to say, the E36 suffers from absolutely terrible quality - even the s**te old 155 is better screwed together than an equivalent age E36.

Reply to
SteveH

And the 156 was better in every respect. It was only brain-dead British journalists blinded by the blue and white propellor that claimed otherwise.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've no complaints over the build quality of my 7 year old E39. Only thing that has broken has been the driver's door handle. Otherwise, it's as tight as new. Nor does it feel a heavy car - it's as lively as any other similar sized car with the same size engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Trouble is, yes, a 1.8 or 2.0 156 is better value than a 1.8 or 2.0 BMW. But you'd have to be out of your tree to think a 2.5 or 3.2 can keep up with a

325 or 330 either in a straight line, or around bends, or on a track.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And the buying public, given the relative value after a few years. Of course, the vast majority of people are always wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

156's don't hold their money that badly really.
Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Is it kept in bubblewrap?

The E39s I've been unfortunate enough to drive have all had their problems. The E32 on the path at the moment definately has some issues.

Reply to
Pete M