Offer 2 On the R5 :o|

I wish. It's got more carpark dings than any other car I've owned.

Depends if you mean build quality or reliability. And the V-8s are *much* worse reliability wise than the 6 cylinders.

Mine has had the famous heater motor resistor fail several times. I've only paid for one, though. Crank position sensor. Seized aux fan. Screen washer motor. That's it.

Never had one - I've only had 5 Series. E28, E34, E39. And it will probably stop there, as I don't much like the new one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Top 10 in the music charts, top rated TV shows.

Do I need to go on?

Reply to
Steve Firth

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Arghh. I hate car park dings... :-(

The 540i, engine wise, was fine. The gearbox, ABS, TC, PDC and loads of bushes went on a regular basis. The 520i used to drop down to five cylinders whenever it felt like, which was annoying for a 6 month old car...

Wise move, the new one really isn't much cop. Unfortunately, the new Mercs seem to have gone the same way. Except they don't look as awful.

Reply to
Pete M

Most of that isn't really typical of common faults found on either model - if the E39 group I subscribe to (with about 1000 members) is anything to go by. Radiator/cooling system problems are the common one with the V-8. Front bottom wishbone bushes too - but usually at a fair mileage, although it seems to happen sooner with large wheels. The gearbox, ABS, TC and PDC aren't unique to BMW - so should be no worse than any other car.

Didn't the missing problem throw up a code? There was a problem for a couple of years with the coils - which happened to other makes using the same ones, but the dealer should have replaced the lot.

IMHO, the main problem is the BMW dealers. Bunch of total wankers. Out of the six I've used for servicing, only one got close to doing a decent job. And that one was in Aberdeen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

The box was replaced at 60k in the 540i under warranty. The 520i had 6 clutches in 70k miles because of the crap clutch action. The coil pack issue may have been the case with it, but the car was a brand new 520i on an 02 plate, it was only kept for just over a year, understandably.. Replaced by the even worse 530d.

Don't know, the 520 only ever went to a BMW main agent for work. The 540i would show up codes for ABS sensors, so I'd change the sensor, reset the system and it'd return within a few miles. Even though everything was new. Normal cause was rust on the hub rotors.

Yup, the ones that service my brothers cars are utter wankers as well.

Reply to
Pete M