OT: BBC iPlayer

My goodness it's crap. . They say: On a 2MB connection a half hour program should download in about half an hour

Strange then that on my 8MB connection I'm an hour and a quarter into downloading a half hour program and it's only 20% done. Compared to other P2P networks this isn't going to set any speed records. I've tormented 4.7Gb DVDs of Linux in under 5 hrs and this is going to take that long to get 143MB of DRM protected video. If I were less honest I'd go to one of the many torrent sites and get the same program probably in HD quicker.

Reply to
Depresion

Ooh it gets better (or worse) when you shut down the iPlayer Librery client it leves the server software running as a service in the background. Kindly they let you stop it but only through the task manager.

-- Member of D.N.A. National Dyslexics Association

Reply to
Depresion

So it'll still be using your bandwidth to share stuff without your knowledge? Bit dodgy...

Reply to
Abo

Yes it also starts the server with windows even if you tell it not to. Seems to be the same system used by C4 and Sky having done some research.

Reply to
Depresion