[OT[ Gouranga - the mystery solved!

Yup, but the V6 is a nice motor IMO

Kick it harder :-)

Ditto, I crucified an MR2 GTi thing driven by a self-proclaimed "Hotshoe" in my old 280TE down the twisties from Southport to Liverpool. He was *not* amused.

Reply to
Pete M

[...]

Don't know it at all - the I6s are all splendid so it would need to be.

Even in "3" that box is far too keen to upshift and "2" is just too low in much of the swoopy, twisty Highlands...

Which is a pity 'coz the M110 is a great engine, very reminiscent of the Alfa twin-cam - lots of low-end grunt, revs like a banshee - and would be a dream with a better box.

The secret IMO is using the brakes to load up the outside front if you want it to turn. :)

Alistair J Murray

But, nowhere near as well made as a W124.

I've only driven super-powerful, super-slow, and a manual Mercedes. Nothing sane.

I've never liked the W123 much, but I rather fancy a 280TE.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Nor as pretty.

Super-powerful?

Good car, potentially great with a bit more roll stiffness - turn-in is a bit soggy but the grip is tenacious.

Mine had the jump seats which were fine even for smallish adults and self levelling rear suspension which meant you could use the *vast* loadspace without ruining the handling entirely.

The W124 is a better car but a tidy W123 280*E could give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Alistair J Murray

Elegant. I don't consider the W124 pretty, but it is elegant. The later models are just laughable. I never understand why Mercedes cannot do sedan rear ends properly.

Maybe the W126? S-class is tolerable.

1993 600SL. Not mine, the dealers. Plus my 1989 200TE manual, 1984 200 W123 Auto, and of course the A140.

I don't mind soft suspension. I used to drive a CX22TRS and my boy-racer phase was performed largely in a BX16RE. Logic dictates that a Sierra

2.0i GLS should, really, outhandle a BX, especially when said Sierra has been messed with suspension wise, but there is a finesse to Citroen suspension that you just have to adapt to to get the best out of it.

I used to love upsetting people with the XM. Those things can really handle with the right tyres.

Yeah, my 200TE had the levelling suspension, but it wasn't always so hot. ISTR it needing to be replaced.

Indeed. But then, I think I would want the CE.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

The coupé is *pretty*.

I keep seeing W210s and thinking "Nice", then catching one at a bad angle...

W126 is nice, especially the SEC. W140 is not an improvement for looks.

Nice. :)

It's the lack of roll stiffness rather than softness that is unsettling.

Big Citroêns are the biz. I want an SM some day...

Mine had been fettled just before I bought it. The plantedness of the rear axle kinda showed up the slop in the front...

Not a lot of those about, nice if you can find one.

Alistair J Murray