OT: I think I need a new Laptop.

You know I mean like I did with her PC. And yes, she paid, I put it together and chose her the parts. Asus Motherboard.

3200 Athlon 64 6600 Nvidia PCI-E 512meg 2x120gig HDDs 1 gig ram

Much better than her old 700 Duron with a Matrox G450 and 256meg ram.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I would say Dell, £299 for a 1.GHz with 15.4" widescreen DVD re-writer and

40gig hdd, windows XP home, wireless.

I just bought 4 for work to replace 5 yr old Dell laptops that are still going strong, although the USB port on the back has started coming lose on most of them.

Remember to get a USB vag Lead not a serial as most new laptops don't have the port on the back.

Oh and I am still alive, popular to contrary belief :) hehe

Reply to
Ronny

Don't you mean G3?

Reply to
SteveH

Well, you're sorted, then.

With a MacBook, you can dual-boot windows, or run a virtual machine in a window (at near-native speeds due to the Intel CPU), plus, OSX is effectively Unix with a fancy GUI, so you'd quickly recompile your existing Unix applications and have them running from your OSX terminal / X11 in no time.

Reply to
SteveH

No, he's better off spending a bit more cash and buying a MacBook Pro..... depending on the specs of the new MacBook, he may well get away with that.

Reply to
SteveH

Don't be daft. That's a cutting compound. Bloody good stuff it is too.

But hold on, it's against the code of conduct to stray on-topic in an off-topic thread, innit? :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

USB lead has been ordered, and has already been dispatched.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

One, with second button accessed via two fingers on the pad and click.

Given that Apple pioneered the standard and have been fitting it as standard for eons now, yes. And Bluetooth 2.0 EDR.

Yes.

Hence the Core Duo systems being pretty damn good; OS X is a brilliant OS and much nicer (IMO) and more stable than XP, but sometimes, you need XP. Intel Macs dual boot XP SP2 with Boot Camp, and will also run other x86 software under Parallels virtualization technology, in a window or fullscreen - and that's not emulation, so IMO it's the better solution in theory.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

And here is me thinking G3 is an assault rifle made by H&K.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Sounding better.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

'Cos slow computers are irritating :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

I'm taking the difference between a 1.6 ghz celeron m and a core duo. The core duo is faster but not noticeably so for the sort of things I'd use a laptop for.

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

Just looked at the MacBook Pro models. jesus can't afford that. Just shy of =A31500inc vat for a 14" screen and 1/2 gig ram. In a PC I would want that, 17" screen 1gig ram, 100gig HDD, dvd re- writer, wifi, Bluetooth, 3 years onsite warrenty and a big pile of=20 extras (cases, external mouse/keyboard etc).

I can get the same spec as that macbook, in a pc for about =A35-600 even=20 from the likes of PC world. yes I know it runs OSX fine, but it needs to=20 be a suitable spec to run windows XP quickly too, and for that the=20 memory etc is borderline.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Just looked at the MacBook Pro models. jesus can't afford that. Just shy of £1500inc vat for a 14" screen and 1/2 gig ram. In a PC I would want that, 17" screen 1gig ram, 100gig HDD, dvd re- writer, wifi, Bluetooth, 3 years onsite warrenty and a big pile of extras (cases, external mouse/keyboard etc).

I can get the same spec as that macbook, in a pc for about £5-600 even from the likes of PC world. yes I know it runs OSX fine, but it needs to be a suitable spec to run windows XP quickly too, and for that the memory etc is borderline.

Reply to
DanTXD

LOL! Well with me being apparently the Ford Focus driver of the computer-buying public, I'm quite tempted towards a Dell machine I saw advertised the other week. Spec was (IIRC):

Intel Viiv (Dual-Core) 3GHz, 2 x 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB

2GB DDR2 RAM, 320GB Hard Drive (Serial ATA, and some other spec that I recognised as basically being pretty much the latest tech) 256MB nVidia GeForce graphics card with turbo in the name 19" Flat Panel Monitor 16x DVD +/- ReWriter Plus some gimmicky things like a TV card with remote, and I think it had a 13 in 1 card reader as well.

All for £799 incl. delivery and VAT.

I bet at least 3 people will now tell me that they could easily build me a system at least as good as that for less money.....

And SteveH'll pop up and till me Macs are better :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No you can't - a quick look around says that you'd have to spend at least a grand to get a decent Windows based Core Duo laptop.

You're comparing single core with dual core.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

£775 inc Vat.

HTH :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Sorry, I'll need to spend 2/3rds the price, not 1/2 to get a PC equal to a mac.

Sorry, my bad you are correct. I still can't afford the Mac Book Pro, even though you have explained how much better value it is than I first thought.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

*shrugs*

That's just a quick comparison, I think if you did a full comparison of specs and performance, you'd find the MacBook looks very favourable.

Anyway, that's for the MacBookPro, which is the Powerbook replacement, the iBook replacement MacBook is on it's way very soon at much cheaper prices.

Reply to
SteveH

Wow, not bad. If the one I'm going to look at at comet tonight isn't upto much, (lower=20 spec, but much lower price) I may go for that.