OT: Paging that lot that are up with the latest technology

Ok, this is hardly the latest technology, but I've just finally got around to unblocking the Sony-Ericsson P800 I bought off my brother a good year or more ago and actually started to use it, and it's bloody good.

I've got the desktop cradle thing plugged into the USB port, and the phone in the cradle, and I've just realised that you can get directly into the folder structure of the phone's memory and the additional memory stick.

But it won't let me do the simple action of dragging and dropping files into a another folder, situated on my hard drive.

WHY? Goddammit!!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You probably have to install something.

Reply to
DanTXD

Thanks.

Forgot to mention that I installed the software that came with it. I can flick through the folders within the phone's internal memory and the memory stick, and even copy files from phone memory to memory stick, or rename them in situ, but it just won't bloody let me drag and drop them into another hard-disk based folder!

I'm browsing through the folders simply through "My P800" which the installation placed on my Desktop, btw. There's another bit of software that deals with synchronising various things and another one that just does a blanket backup/restore, but saves it to some proprietary format in the mean time, so it appears the only way left to easily transfer files to a PC is drag + drop, and for some reason it just doesn't work.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's probably the problem, a lot of these bits of software are just totally crap.

Reply to
Depresion

Maybe, but I'm not using the software as such - just merely using the fact that it's set itself up as a sort of drive (although, strangely, it stems from Desktop rather than My Computer), to access the files. I can't see why it doesn't work, but it doesn't. Maybe I should get one of these card reader things.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

My PDA did the same thing, removed the drivers that it installed and it worked as a normal drive.

Reply to
Depresion

Cool - will give that a crack, and just reinstall the software if I need to back up contacts lists etc.

I take it you're on XP?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yep, XP has decent handling of external drives compared to older windows.

Reply to
Depresion

IIRC you can copy and paste, but not drag and drop.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Tried it. Didn't work.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Aye, I know. It's great. It "just works". Just like computers should be.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Have a look at

can drag ad drop straight into the card using this.I used it with my SE Z1010Works nicely, just seems a bit arse about face.or that might just have been the version I was using about 2 years ago.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2