Paging Meatball Turbo

That is basically what a 2 litre VTEC Prelude is though, with more power in a 2+2 instead of in a standard hatchback.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

*CEASE THIS TALK OF HONDAS*

HTH

Reply to
Pete M

Yep, true enough. Below the Vtec region, the torque curve is pretty flat at 140 lb-ft, then jumps up to 155 lb-ft just above the vtec threshold (about 5000rpm, as you say), stay flat again up to about 6700rpm then starts to tail off gradually above that, with a rev-limit at 7500rpm, IIRC.

Fair enough. It's less torquey than a 3 litre engine producing the same power, or than a 2ish-litre turbo, and a lot less than a turbo-diesel producing the same.

I'd agree with that. It's geared so that when you change up at the rev-limiter, you are neatly just above the Vtec zone. The idea is that you either use it hard, in which case you never drop below the Vtec threshold, or normally, in which case you rarely go above it. In neither case do you run from very low rpm to very high rpm, and so you don't notice the Vtec kick, and so you don't get the feeling of a weak low-end. Or something along those lines.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Can't help it mate. usually think (until you get the Skyline supra territory) that they are efficient, but boring, but the looks of this beast prelude has gotten under my skin.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

If it makes you feel any better, i want a 206...

Reply to
Dan405

Which, to me anyways, is not part of what defines a car that is good to drive. In normal driving it's good just lofting along on low down torque.

Reply to
Lordy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@Somewhere.Somewhere spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Oh aye, I know they will use more, so they won't go on until, A) the give fuel away with wine glasses and cuddly toys,

2) or I get a better paid job.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Ah righty - I was using specially-accurate Parker's figures :)

Yep. But anything quick, uses lots of fuel. The end.

:)

Nope.

The 620 TI is *MORE* economical than the 623 ! Even though it makes a bunch more power !

Turbo cars only drink-fuel when on-boost - which only happens when you're accelerating reasonably hard.

Reply to
Nom

TI is specifically limited, and it's 240Nm :)

Take off the limiter, and it makes somewhere around 280Nm, just like any other equivalent Turbo engine.

Agreed. However, Carl is choosing an NA engine, because he wants economy. But 180bhp is 180bhp - whether he gets it from a Turbo or a VTec, it's still gonna use a broadly similar amount of juice (ie, lots).

Reply to
Nom

If you drive it quickly, yes. If you mostly tootle about, then there is a _big_ variation in how much fuel you'll use.

Yep.

When they are off-boost, turbo engines have a low effective compression ratio, which means a low thermodynamic efficiency, and a high specific fuel consumption.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

But what does a VTEC engine produce outside the VTEC band? at say normal

4500-5000? Where most normal driving is done? If it is 120-130, it is hardly going to be too thirsty, and not that underpowered for a day to day driving car. If I want to play, I'll take it to the redline then stay arroudn the VTEC band, otherwise keep it out take it easy and enjoy the ride.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

a supercharger then? cus turbo's dont give low end poke?

Reply to
Theo

preludes are beautiful and they handle very well, go get one mate, they are much more desirable imo than a 600ti

Reply to
Theo

4,500 to 5,000 is 'normal' ?

I've not seen official MPG specs for it, but I did come across an owners page that gave urban / non-urban figures. Both were sub 30mpg...

Reply to
Lordy

Depends on application.

If you're thinking RS Turbo, et al, then yes I supposed you could be right.

Reply to
Lordy

2.2 Vtec: Urban: 24mpg Extra urban: 38mpg Comb: 31mpg 2.3i: Urban 24.5 Extra Urban: 40.4mpg Comb: 32.5mpg
Reply to
Albert T Cone

An Alfa with the 2.0 8v TSpark lump will piss those kind of figures.

My last tank averaged at 34mpg - a combination of fast A-road stuff (not constant cruise, though), and the half hour queue of traffic to get into Hereford in the morning, and out again in the evening.

370 miles on 48 litres. When my wife uses it, she sees an easy 450 miles on the same amoun of fuel.
Reply to
SteveH

why is it limited?

does this apply to all the rover turbos like 220, 420, etc?

Reply to
Keano

Cos the gearbox dies.

Yup. But adding this little boost controller widget Nom is about to come and talk about takes it off so you get your full 280nm :)

Reply to
Dan405

turbo's dont ever give low rpm poke?

Reply to