*ping* Vamp...or anyone else wot knows

Off to look at a few MR2's with a mate tmrw, anything we should be looking out for? 2.0 Non-Turbo ones. Do they have any common issues? Except for the gay thing obviously...

Reply to
Dan405

Also, as a PS to this, whats the differences between the UK and Jap cars? When did the Rev 3 ones come out? All that kinda stuff would be nice to know :) Whats the specs? BHP, 0-60 etc :) Anyone?

Cheers dudes.

Reply to
Dan405

Its not for me :) They're not insurable or buyable by a 21 year old lifeguard either :) He's lookin at P/Xing a Nova for it :D

Reply to
Dan405

Get a turbo one...

You will then have "real car"...

Reply to
Burgerman

Burgerman

Well, there's the gay thing.

Other than that, engine should tickover quietly, anything modded is likely to be thrashed. Engine is unbreakable if serviced to schedule and driven well. Look for smoke etc, look for regularly changed oil.

Heavy tyre wear is common - IIRC Yokohama made a special "MR2" tyre, look for those for signs of a fastidious owner.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

not much really, rev 3 were 94 onwards and can be spotted by round rear lights (rather than the flat squary ones) with 2 reverse lights in the middle.

look for any rust coz if it has it then it's had a bump as they don't rust, if it's a t-bar then make sure it doesn't leak. get one with service history. rev3 is the one to go for as it had a revised suspension set up and 175bhp over the previous 158bhp and ABS was standard i think as well.

There was a limited edition (only 250) 10th Anniversary model in 1996 which can be identified by the wooden steering wheel, chrome kick-plates, different alloy wheels and the limited edition badge. so watch out for fakes posing as the 10th ani ones, should say what number it was of the 250 somewhere.

The pre-1994 cars should be serviced every 6000 miles or 6 months (whichever is sooner), with the post-1994 models only requiring a service either every 9000 miles or 12 months.

make sure all electronic toys work properly. Specifically, check that the windows and mirrors operate electrically, make sure the wipers and screen washer work as well as the heater and window demisters. Also, make sure that the electric aerial works as there is a little nylon gear inside that is prone to wearing. Make sure the central locking works as well, and that the headlights pop up when you turn them on.

the cambelt should be changed every 60,000 miles. If this has been done by a Toyota dealer, there will be a sticker on the top of the cambelt cover with a date and mileage on it.

The problem with the Mk2 is that the radiator is totally unprotected from stones, and a holed radiator is not cheap to fix. Many owners protect their radiator with a plastic or metal mesh.

Toyota recommend that only a special "ForLife" coolant is used in MR2's. ForLife is a dark red colour. Check the coolant expansion tank in the front boot and make sure it is not pale red or clear, or any other colour other than dark red/orange.

don't buy red because it fades and goes pink and look around before buying as there are some right wankered ones about.

jap tends to have more toys like eleccy folding mirrors and A/C as standard, also front indicators are mounted at the end of the wing on imports close to the bumper. think also japs had a slightly higher bhp but they do run 100ron fuel over there. i myself would get a jap import as it just seems to look right with the small sqaure plates :)

if he can afford about £7k he could grab the rev5 which had a wicked adjustable rear spoiler ooooooooooh ;)

or tell him to stop being a twit and buy a turbo like i am :D

oh 0-60 on a N/A is 7.8secs compared to the turbo which is around 5.8 :)

Reply to
Vamp

Noted, thank you :)

Reply to
Dan405

lights (rather than the flat

I suspect we're aiming for a 93er. Which ones came with the 120bhp engine? or 121 or whatever it was?

rust, if it's a t-bar then

over the previous 158bhp

ABS is for girls ;) Then, he is thinking of an MR2 so.....

which can be identified by the

limited edition badge. so

was of the 250 somewhere.

(whichever is sooner), with the

windows and mirrors

as the heater and window

little nylon gear inside

that the headlights pop

a Toyota dealer, there

stones, and a holed

plastic or metal mesh.

ForLife is a dark red

it is not pale red or

as there are some right

standard, also front indicators

also japs had a slightly

jap import as it just seems

adjustable rear spoiler

All noted and will be looked for :) Cheers :)

Reply to
Dan405

no that was the early early one, i.e crap! just called a MR2 coupe' and had no rear spoiler, also has the 3SFE engine and sounds utter crap so easy to spot :)

93er will be around 158 bhp still quick as they had less crash stuff so the lightness kept 0-60mph about the same.

not driving a MK1 ABS is for posh buggers :)

Reply to
Vamp

had no rear spoiler, also

the lightness kept 0-60mph

Is it me, or did Vamp just post some useful information???

Andy R

Reply to
Andy

Look for regularly changed oil? Where? Down the local oil disposal facility? :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It gets worse, he's helped me on MSN as well! Even though it turned out we couldn't go and look today, so we're off later in the week.

Reply to
Dan405

and it's right ;)

love the MR2 ever since i got one, thank meatball and derv for pointing me in the direction of the MK1 in the first place :)

Reply to
Vamp

In article , snipped-for-privacy@none.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

the direction of the

And what is worse is, he is getting as geaky about them, as I am with me ancient old Skoda knowledge.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

They are good solid cars. Little girly if you want a two seater to have a gazillion horses, but if you want something that looks OK, is pretty well equiped, does well with what it has, and is actually fun to drive, they aren't bad at all.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

i meant by colour :)

Reply to