Police Cars (traffic cops) - speed of reverse gear ??

I've not heard of that one.

Most manuals have a lower reverse than first, while most autos it's the opposite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You have to have a very firm grip of the steering wheel as the castor action which keeps the wheels straight works in the opposite way in reverse - use some lock and it tries to go to full...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

That'll be why i said you need a steady hand then :) Spent a few years doing a lot of reversing in a 3 wheeler - such fun :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

learn something new everyday on this internet must be hundreds of pounds to be made here :)

Reply to
dojj

Just have to get the caster and trail right, I don't think fork lifts or dumper trucks have much if any of either.

Someone (in USA I think) spent $25K (about 25 years ago) on research into motorbike accident avoidance. One test bike was front wheel drive, rear wheel steering. As they just took a 2 stroke trials bike, set the timing to make it run backwards and put a set of handlebars on the "front" with a linkage to the forks at the rear, it was completely un-ridable with -26 degrees of caster and about -100mm trial. Another bike used was "long wheelbase", about 3m long, very stable, steering locked up and it went nice and straight at 35mph. Nearly had to stop, get off and hike the back end round by hand to go round bends! I think that whatever merits either concept may have had the person doing the work was only collecting the cheque for a one year post grad project and had a secondary agenda that bikes are just fine as they are. Wouldn't want any bureaucrat legislating a safety motorbike into existence like they have SUV, MPV and overweight ugly tall cars for impact tests.

Peter Hill

Wow!!!! That thing would be awesome!

Peter

Reply to