Porsche 911 (996) Tiptronic - good? Paging TDM!

The fact that dealer sticker prices on nearly new cars that are about to be hit with high levels of VED are falling by the week.

Yes, but that's true for most high-VED rate cars.

Erm, you're confusing the issues here.

Unless it's a cabrio, that's not an issue.

When you know prices are falling, and could quite possibly be hit with a bigger fall due to the VED, then it's a very good plan to wait and see.

Like I say, nothing to lose in doing so but potentially enough to gain to keep it on the road for a year or two.

Depends on if 'having a house' means 'will own it when the mortgage has been paid off' or 'own it outright', really.

Putting £25k into a Porsche when you still owe money on a mortgage is, frankly, bloody stupid - especially whilst rates are rising, deals are hard to find and banks are demanding increasingly large deposits.

Best thing we ever did was clearing the house with a combination of inheritance and making money out of a rising market, rather than putting the money into depreciating toys.

As I have said, that value of 'toy' has attracted the re-mortgagers in recent years, so I'd really be thinking carefully about buying just as a full-on recession hits. Better to sit on the cash until people start to crash and burn.

Reply to
SteveH

Well good luck with it and can I dribble over the bonnet? Tim Kemp knows how much I love 911s. Tim "ten seconds slower in the 911 in the wet" Kemp hehehe. Oh okay, Tim "a minute quicker in the 350Z in the dry" Kemp then. :)

But really, trying to justify a 911 on cost grounds, whatever next..?

Reply to
DervMan

"Alfa Driver in Financial Wisdom Shocker"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've always had that, why do you think I drive Alfas?

Cheap as chips, 'cos they depreciate quicker than anything this side of a Kia Magentis.....

Reply to
SteveH

And shall we even mention the Jags and the FPAs???

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No. People don't buy Porsche 911s because they're sensible compared with normal machines.

They buy them because they can and they want to.

Nope. It's about structured debt. Rates may be going up, may be going down, but the chances are that capital locked up into a house is cheaper to fund than by other means. It's also not enjoyable and illiquid. Can't easily sell it. Asset rich, cash poor.

Yadadada you have such acumen and so much more money than I do.

Full on recession? Maybe.

No. Better to enjoy something now if one is able to afford it, than not to, if one can't. Like I say, all this bollucks about waiting here, waiting there, dick-dancing about; it's a 911. You're trying to justify it from that Lupo TDI perspective. Not the same.

Reply to
DervMan

Not really - either end...

Reply to
DervMan

*cough* Clio.

Did you see the location for Saturday?

Reply to
DervMan

hmmm - a quick nonscientific look at the asking price on autotrader of cars up to 3 yr 40k miles where the model is current reveals this...

Car New 3yr40k £loss %loss Kia Magentis 14645 3695 10950 74.76955 Alfa 147 13955 4800 9155 65.60373 Mercedes A150 14065 6699 7366 52.37113 Phantom 250000 175000 75000 30 Chevy Matiz 6265 2800 3465 55.30726 Smart 6530 4999 1531 23.44564 Saab 9-3 18925 5850 13075 69.08851

75% loss in 3 years!!! Who the hell buys the things!
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The 9-3 depreciation is quite comical, too.

Not as comical as it is on the Cadilac version, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Not over, just on hold for a while

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I did. :)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The BLS? Bit Like a Saab? Not been around 3 yrs but appears to have dropped about 62% in 2 yrs anyhow!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

We're gonna near ear plugs. Did you tell Adam? :0

Reply to
DervMan

Well, I appear to know more about it than you......

Reply to
SteveH

I'll get some tomorrow

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Only because you have nothing better to do than argue every single anal point. So if quantity of posts counts, you have a point.

In terms of quality, my cat knows more about what has happened, is happening, and is probably to happen to the economy than you have demonstrated thus far.

Reply to
DervMan

Where from?

Reply to
DervMan

Hmm. Do you want me to have a word with my Porsche bloke? He's in Sheffield, so not hugely out of the way.

Reply to
Pete M

Well, he's not buying yet, an is definately a 'main dealer' type shopper. But I may well ask for some advising in a few months if we're both still around hehe :-)

Reply to
DanB