Porsche 911 (996) Tiptronic - good? Paging TDM!

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Because Range Rover & Range Rover Sport are models. Land Rover is the brand/manufacturer, Tata is the corporate parent (as VW is to Skoda)

Reply to
Adrian

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Bwaahahahahahahahaahhaahhahahahahahhaha....

Because when you've got a car that weighs north of 2.5t dry, before another couple of hundred kg of chavtat has been thrown at it, saving a hundred grams from the umbrella is _vital_...

Reply to
Adrian

It was most obviously owned by an ethnic drug dealer....

This is an even worse example, though:

SteveH

Well I wouldn't plan to raise the car above my head and carry it around to protect me from the rain while I was out playing golf.

If I had a Kahn edition Range Rover. Or played golf.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

My suspicion was that the owner was probably waiting for, ummm, other "merchandise" that he'd just delivered to the hotel to finish her job and return...

Reply to
Adrian

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which would make you a bigger social pariah, though?

Reply to
Adrian

Oh my god you're right!

Reply to
DanB

Don't worry from Dan's description it sounds as though his friends' rich mummy and daddy will pick up the pieces for him anyhow.

Reply to
fishman

Don't worry from Dan's description it sounds as though his friends' rich mummy and daddy will pick up the pieces for him anyhow.

Bit of a chip on your shoulder I see?

It's not really like that at all, but I'm not gonna spend ages typing and justifying it, you're not gonna beleive me whatever I say now are you hehe :-)

Reply to
DanB

Heh.

Anyway, where do you live these days, now you've come back to the UK?

I still owe you a couple of beers for checking out a s**te old car for me way back.... if you've moved back to the same kind of area, I get up there on business fairly regularly.

Reply to
SteveH

Heh I was only talking about that the other day maybe it was cos of the Top Gear Alfa episode, when one of their clutch pedals got stuck down. The exact same thing happened to that 164 I looked at for you.

I now reside in rural Bedfordshire. Rains a lot less here than MankChester. Can't believe you remembered about owing me a couple of pints - save yourself the cash you'll need it for the recession ;)

Reply to
fishman

Anywhere near St. Neots area?

I'm over there quite often, too.

Be good to meet for a beer anyway. I can probably bill it to expenses, too ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

You should get him onto here, I miss Hugo Taylor-Jones.

Changing the subject, you are really active on here at the moment, which is good; I enjoy reading your posts as you are at once ridiculous and knowledgeable. How do you find the time what with all the rampant sex?

Reply to
fishman

Incidentally, yes. Jesus there are lot of pikeys (in the literal sense) around here. I love it, I drive past them and imagine them living the kind of life I had in Australia, except more luxurious (which might go some way towards compensating for the weather).

I guess I could be convinced to accept a pint paid for by your company. If I did so, that'd be three chalked up from this group - Nom (WTF happened to him, sold the Ti and felt such a traitor he had to leave?), Fraser and you. We could go to a very *local* local I know of, 5 mins from St Neots. Before I went away, despite the fact I lived in Manchester, before I'd made it from the door to the bar (less than two yards) my tipple was already being poured - just because the mum of SWMBO lives nearby. It's hilarious when I'm propping up the bar and fair-game strangers pop in for a pint on their way to wherever. The barman really turns on the charm for them, in his own way... Now I'm back I've committed the cardinal sin of ordering different drinks on more than one occasion so I'm now deemed as fickle and I have to be asked what I want :( On the upside, they have Guitar Heroes on the Wii in the games room, which almost makes up for the recently introduced lack of skittles.

Reply to
fishman

I'll ping the group next time I'm in the area for an overnight.

I'm there on Wednesday, but staying Weds. night near Heathrow as I have a meeting in Ealing on Thursday morning.

I usually stay at the Abbotsley Golf Club when I'm in the area.

Reply to
SteveH

I don't really 'get' the rempant sex comment, so I'm just gonna brush round it? I have terminal cancer with a large tumour growing next to my spine and generally around my insides. It puts a crimp on physical activity, and interesting outings. Fortunately though I'm still able to use a computer, which unfortunately it seems for you, means I can use Usenet. The doctor did however say that it wasn't growing towards my spine, or the leg/lower body nerves so I am also still able to drive, with the aid of a big cushion for my back - as leaning back is similar to leaning back against a watermelon. Only a bit tender. Which enabled me to be able to go New York for a weekend, and then to the Nurburgring as these are two things I've always wanted to do. Despite the pain and general tiredness I suffer 24/7. I know this will sicken you, but my grandad gave me some cash to help me be able to do such things. He gave me the little bit he had earmarked for me in his will, seen as though it appears I'll be dead long before him. That's such a disgusting spoon feeding hand out isn't it?

Sorry, I'll try get out more from now on, with my dirty money.

It may please you to know, as I was explaining to PeteM on MSN, but he in the last week or so (I hadn't spoke to him since he mentioned the Porker about 10 days ago as he's been busy with work) has re-paid what his parents paid into the house over the years, using his savings (the Porker money plus a bit), his bonus money and a small loan. Well, he hasn't actually done it yet, but the wheels are in motion so to speak.

So, now he'll be paying off the mortgage, and has paid them the money they put into the house - albeit sans interest - as they wanted to buy a place abroad for when his dad retires and sells his business. This way meant they didn't have to borrow any money or leave themselves short. Again, as I was telling Pete, he often works 7, 12 hour days in week, or even the odd 14-15 hour day too, but hey, whatever he does to work for his money you won't care cos his parents helped him out initially I assume.

Reply to
DanB

He just got bored of it one day. He's moved in with his Mrs now temporarily renting till they can buy a place. Still has the 406 Coupe, but as he lives in Cambridge, it's done about 12 miles in the past 3 months :)

Reply to
DanB

I had kind of gathered from here that the outlook wasn't exactly rosy for you and I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like. SWMBO and I cut our round the world trip short because a close relative was in a very similar situation to you and we actually have been staying with her to try and spend some quality time whilst the whole thing played out (and sadly concluded in the last couple of weeks). Respect for being so candid in your post, I am after all a complete stranger and there are countless lurkers peering into our exchanges.

The above was the first serious thing I've ever said on here :) If we were in the pub I'd be jibing you just the same about your Porsche buying friend but you'd see from my eyes and my body language that it's nothing personal. But those things don't come across in here, in black and white digital text do they!

I meant what I said about enjoying reading your posts by the way. I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I say I'm flattered that you're spending such precious time with us lot :)

Anyway, if your friend is working all those hours, he's a mug! What's the point in having money if you've no energy or time to enjoy it... After first reading the thread about your friend buying the Porsche, I went to bed and had a great dream about going out and choosing a Porsche. You know that nice feeling when you wake up having had brilliant dreams that lasts all day? SWMBO and I have a target to save up at least as much as it'll cost to buy a similar spec Porsche within the next year (yeah my new job pays well!) but I think we'll bugger off abroad again until the economy back home sorts itself out *or* we find a country we'd rather stay in longer term. Thing is, our last trip lasted 18 months. We left the country with just =A36k in the bank and came back with about =A32k. So 18 months' holiday for two people (granted we worked for almost 6 months of it so net holiday was a year) cost us =A34k. So if we repeat that feat again we could travel on just the interest of our savings and come back with enough to buy a Porsche off someone who's just gone bankrupt because of the credit crunch. So tell your mate he might have a buyer already ;)

Reply to
fishman

Oh yeah I forgot to try and explain it, I am sitting here with a box of red wine (hey my standards dropped after visiting Australia but in my defence it is Cotes du Rhone) trying to amuse myself on the computer whilst SWMBO does something apparently very important and designery on her computer opposite me (she's not drinking and I've eaten all the chocolate and besides her massive designery screen is obscuring her cleavage).

Ah yes, the joke... well it originated in the question, it must've come up at school or in the pub - what would you do if you knew the world was going to end in X days / weeks / whatever.

I was at school when I was first asked and replied that I'd steal everything from the local Dixons. Yeah. Edgy.

Reply to
fishman

Aaah, gotcha :-). I dunno, if you actually wanted to spend your final time doing something that you'd done before, over and over again, I'd think that was a bit crap hehe. And as for hiding the cleav.? Have a word - that's bang out of order. Especially as you're a bit drunk, and after all that choc presumably not too far away from vomitting, so it's not as if you'll be getting any tonight! You are at least entitled to the preview show. I won't comment on your final days dream...

Reply to
DanB