Porsche 911 (996) Tiptronic - good? Paging TDM!

When they start to get careful about buying, it's because there are only a handful of very fussy people around, though..... it's not like they can shift less nice kit onto anyone with a re-mortgage anymore.

This is just the start, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Let's get this into perspective here.

We're talking about an ageing Porsche, at the kind of price that can be afforded by the average working class bloke after re-mortgaging the house on the back of rising prices.

We're not talking about rich boys toys.

This kind of price band is prime for a 'market re-adjustment' when mortgage repayments, fuel bills and household food bills rise.

I don't give it long before the 'prestige' motors around here start to disappear - in fact, I've already seen a late model Range Rover be replaced by a Hyundai Santa Fe diesel.

We'll see what happens, but I'm just advising caution, rather than letting the dream get in the way of reality.

Reply to
SteveH

I thought we were comparing nescafe with grancaffe.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Ah, the heart... Love a car to bits when you have bought it; stay a cool customer before. Overfondly looking at a car before buying can -and often does- break that relationship because a lemon has been slided into your hands (I speak out of experience)

NSX versus 911? As said: I don't know. What I do know: NSX compared to the 964-model of the 911 and the NSX blows it away on all accounts... unless that particular 964 happens to be the last whaletale and has "Turbo 2" written below it.

From 1992 till now the 911 evolved (they ain't fools in Stuttgart), the NSX did not: the NSX was Honda's statement of what they could do at the time. Even the updated NSX -barred headlamps, a 6-speed and 200 cc swept volume extra- remains the orginal.

You want one or the other? Want it enough and buy one. The worsed you can do, is not buying it "untill you're financially secure" because either you will be too old to enjoy it or -StevenH-mentallity- there will be other and -of course- more urgent priorities.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Fuck knows now dude. Where did re-mortgaging come from? I don't know any one stupid enough to remortgage to buy a 2nd hand car thankfully heh. Apparently the fees hit for just wiping 25k off the mortgage is quite a lot. As I said before, he can only wipe 8K a year on top of his payments from his mortgage, without incurring slightly hefty fees.

Reply to
DanB

As I've seen saying. When are you gonna enjoy your money an a 911 more, in your 20s or your 50s/60s? How do you know you'll live that long? And still be healthy enough/able to use a 911 round The Ring? You don't, and if you're not here/able, then all money you saved not enjoying your life, is wasted.

Reply to
DanB

The point is, people *have* done it, and *have* bought expensive toys.

Which is why I've advised caution.

I could be completely wrong, but, as I've said, when I see Range Rovers being swapped for diesel Santa Fes, there's evidence of thinks going very badly wrong for some people.

Reply to
SteveH

No doubt, but really, if you re-mortgage a house to buy a car, even worse, a new car, you've got it coming to be honest heh. The only time it would even be close to sense would be for some appreciating old classic. And even then it's daft.

Reply to
DanB

Spot on.

Now, where's my Hirsch upgrade catalogue?

Reply to
DervMan

Just get rid of the dullmobile and go buy something vaguely entertaining you tart :-D

Reply to
DanB

I already have something vaguely entertaining, though, plus it's very comfortable, reasonably well equipped and as it's turned out, has a decent turn at being economical too.

I "can't justify the expense" (read: I can't afford / I'm too pikey) for something that is proper entertaining (mid 80s 911, any Lotus Elan, Caterham, Elise) plus something that is more practical. So the 9-3 is my compromise.

Reply to
DervMan

Any ideas WTF Europa have a Y reg S-class up at the comedy price of £3k? Is it super immaculate or something?

Reply to
Doki

Y reg, this time round? So, 2000? If so it must be a shed, the best on the trader, up to 10 years old, up to £3k are 1998s, with over 100k, except one

280 which appears to be a home trader, with 57k on. They're mainly 280s, all autos, couple of leggy 320s, and a 420 with 136k and a full (10 stamps) service history.

They can't be that bad though, there is one '98 280, one owner, as I say, auto, with 258k on it heh. Available from a trader for £1,295.

Reply to
DanB

They're capable of mega-miles if they're looked after. Couple of the lads near me have S500 LWB jobs on LPG as private hire cabs.

£3k for a Y plate is pretty cheap though. Must be 2001 and mega-miley. Although the price of anything big and 2001 on with a reasonable (2.5+) sized engine has dropped massively in the last couple of months, so it could just be oversupply and panic. 2001 Range Rover P38s are losing insane amounts of money at the moment. 30th Anniversary "run out edition" ones are dropping around £1100 a month. Not good if you paid retail for one in January!.

I'm *so* glad I bought mine cheap and got out at the right time.

Reply to
Pete M

£80k.

Reply to
DanB

That must be new!

I can't *abide* the Range Rover Sport.

Reply to
Pete M

Hehe yea, 08, 86 miles on it or something, presumably before the owner caught sight of themselves in a shop window reflection and had a shame overload. Why aren't Range Rovers listed as a seperate make in the drop down search menu? VW an Skoda are seperate...

Reply to
DanB

Cos they're all Land Rovers.

Unfortunately, the "Range Rover" Sport is really a Discovery in an expensive suit, not much Range Rover about it at all.

Now, if that'd been A) another colour, and B) a Range Rover Supercharged, I'd have probably drooled. I do love the Rangie Supercharged.

Unfortunately, I've banned myself from Range Rovers for a few months once this one has gone.

Reply to
Pete M

Apologies, this one is 'charged and plenty vulgar though - I love that it has a lightweight golf umbrella!

2008 57 Reg LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT 4.2 V8 SUPERCHARGED-PROJECT KAHN SIGNATURE EDITION Price: £79,995 Features: 150 miles Automatic Pearlescent White with Berry Red Leather Petrol Estate 4200 cc Full Description: Glossary of Terms 5 Doors, Automatic, Estate, Petrol, 150 miles, Pearlescent White with Berry Red Leather. SPECIAL EDITION PEARLESCENT WHITE, Full Project Kahn Specification as follows:, Kahn 22" RSD Diamond Edition Alloy Wheels, Kahn Valve Caps, Kahn Front Spoiler, Kahn Complete Wide Arch Kit, Kahn Rear Apron, HST Rear Top Spoiler, Kahn Rear Boot Spoiler with Additional Lip, Kahn Side Vents, Kahn Mesh Front Grille, Kahn Smoked Front and Rear Lamps and Side Repeaters, Kahn Push Button Start, Kahn Stainless Steel Quad Exhaust Pipes, Kahn Oval Badges, Kahn Front and Rear Lettering, Kahn Quilted Perforated Nappa Leather Interior in Berry Red with Coarse Silver Stitching Including: Front and Rear Seats, Headrests with Embossed Kahn Logos, Centre Seat Armrests, Front & Rear Door Grabs, Centre Glove Box, Pentagon Privacy Tinted Glass, Black/Red Carbon Fibre Steering Wheel, Black/Red Carbon Fibre Door Trim Panels, Kahn Stainless Steel Door Sill Plates, Kahn Lightweight Golfing Umbrella, Kahn Leather Keyring, VAT Qualifying, UK Car.
Reply to
DanB

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Project Khunt?

SteveH - remember that one outside the hotel when we met up for a beer? Hilariously naff.

Reply to
Adrian