Question about the Audi

Ok i have a slight problem, thought i might throw it at you guys first.....

The 1.8t is now reaching intersteller miles and I just had the cambelt / waterpump / aux belts done, I also had the rocker cover gasket replaced as I had a slight oil leak, but I now have another problem.

I am thinking head gasket, but what do you think...

Still got a leak from the engine (hard to see where its coming from) but not from rocker cover now....

Smoke (grey) coming out of exhaust at slow speeds, noticable from behind

A new "whisteling" sound at low revs before the turbo comes in.

Slight hesitation when pulling away or changing gears but not really noticable.

Car still drives fine, turbo still pulls great just had 60 quids worth of NGK spark plugs but the smoking and other things are worrying, any ideas???

Over to you :)

Reply to
Ronny

I should also say, no mayo anywhere, and no oil in header..

Reply to
Ronny

Sell it and buy a Fiat Tipo or something nice and reliable - a Renault or a Peugeot perhaps? I've got a K plate Polo you can have for a few hundred quid.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Hmmm, turbo on it's way out, I reckon.

Reply to
SteveH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Ronny wittered on forthwith;

Check all the pipework under the bonnet, intercooler pipes, vacuum pipes, anything you can find. Otherwise it might just be a tired turbo.

Reply to
Pete M

Your local garage can do a very quick test on the coolant for products of combustion. That will tell you quickly if there is any evidence of a blown headgasket - from that perspective.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

"Pete M" wrote in message news:eue5os$srg$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Hmm I was thinking turbo too, but it's fine, it pulls great sounds quiet and is actually pretty good.

Could this be a K04 upgrade time?

Reply to
Ronny

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Ronny wittered on forthwith;

Could be, I've owned turbo stuff that has smoked a bit but run fine for ages. Just keep an eye on the dipstick and drive it as normal.

As for hybrid turbos, I've never seen the point on a road car.

Reply to
Pete M

Sounds like the turbo to me too. Is it using any oil? Might just be the seals?

Reply to
Iridium

Blocked breather pipe could explain all of the symptons I reckon.

Tired valve stem seals if the engine is high mileage could account for the smoke too.

Or, as others have said it could just be the turbo.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Maybe start of the turbo seals failing, and some oil weeping past? Maybe stem seals but that wouldn't explain the new turbo whistle.

Reply to
Elder

you can't seriously mentuon renault and peugeot when also telling him to get something not only nice but reliable! surely they cancel each other out on the 2 makes? on the plus you'd give less of a shit if a renault or peugeot broke i guess...

Reply to
Vamp

Apparently if the HG is gone, air can leak out causing a whistle noise, ?? true or not??

Reply to
Ronny

Tilt your head back a bit. See that thing flying over, that's called "irony" that is :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Not heard that, bubbles in the coolant, mayo in the water, or loads of white, not grey smoke (and I mean loads, not a bit), overheating are all HG symptoms. If it is a waterway that has broken through, you plugs may have steam cleaned themselves. One plug cleaner than the rest can be a symptom.

Reply to
Elder

it's chipped isn't it? I'd bet on something internal to the turbocharger - mine in the S60 got noisier and more oil-thirsty as it went on but performance never suffered.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In the case of the cars listed above it's more iron oxide than irony.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

IIRC it's not chipped, just had the trial?

Reply to
Iridium

yeah as dan says

Reply to