Re: Life is hard

Erm, what's wrong with that?

> > We don't all want to wear knee-high, metal plate goth boots, you know. >

For day to day wear, a nice simple suede slip on

Mine aren't Merrell, but a very similar shoe with casual support but no pretence of sportiness.

Reply to
Elder

I may be about to puke. I'm tempted to buy a pair of their approach shoes as I'm fed up of roasting to death in boots, but the whole smart casual vibe of what you linked to is foul.

Reply to
Doki

Thinking of selling that TBH. Nothing left to do, nothing I can justify spending money on.

Reply to
Conor

Does it play games?

Reply to
Conor

They are nice to drive in, no heel to catch in the car, but they look tidy enough to wear with jeans and trousers, you can walk in them without getting flat feet and they look enough like shoes to work when I occasionally do tidy for the office, but enough like suede creepers with a pair slim jeans. Compromise win win for me.

Reply to
Elder

No, that's what games consoles are for.

Reply to
SteveH

I agree wholeheartedly. However I've yet to play a good RTS or Quake type game on a console. These things *need* a mouse!

Reply to
Doki

Whilst I have a Wii, 360 and PS3, the one thing non of them can do is match a PC for online gaming. Can't beat a 64 player fragfest.

OTOH, getting pissed off with bugs and patches with PCs.

Reply to
Conor

If he had a Mac he might just do something useful instead of wasting his life playing dumb-ass games.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh, I'd assumed you were at least my age, not 14.....

Reply to
SteveH

Wii for the kids, PS3 I use for Blu-ray and 360 I got for gaming but TBH, it doesn't get used that often.

Reply to
Conor

Are you having a laugh? What's wrong with a pretence of sportiness?

Reply to
DanB

Maybe not, but it does mean than the standard troll of "Buy a Mac" - is just a stupid thing to say in this situation, as it would make a whole new problem!

Heh, well I'm not old enough to remember "the geek wars" - but I assume there was a reason game developers ditched the Mac - probably because there are a lot more PC users I guess.

That's fair enoough, see I'd hate the tractor things and farming (I once spent 4 weeks helping out on a local farm in the summer, pulling the wild oats out of the crops) - but if that's what you like it's not my place to mock :-)

Reply to
DanB

Me and sport do not mix.

Reply to
Elder

Not really. I know several people who became games designers/programmers. They werem in general, about the worst programmers I've ever worked with. Really, absolutely rock bottom talent. Most of them simply couldn't cope with the Mac, which even back in System 6/7 days enforced adherence to good programming practice and which prevented dirct access to hardware. All interfacing with hardware had to be done in a similar way to DirectX, but years before MS dreamed up (copied) DirectX.

So these guys had a choice of developing on a platform where they would have to jump through a few hoops to make it work, or one that allowed a program to write anywhere it liked in memory and where cheap and dirty programming techniques would work. They chose quick and dirty.

It's why I smirk when Vamp gets on his "all Macs are crap" bandwagon because his comments show huge amounts of ignorance about writing software.

Anyway, if you look many of the current PC hot games can be traced back to the Mac. Prince of Persia (early Mac platform game) seems to have become popular on the PC. Wolfenstein (Mac) spawned Doom and countless other shoot-em-ups, etc. etc.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well yea, but to be fair he's never claimed to be a programmer hehe, he works in a car dealership!

I mainly play games on my Xbox Elite now, and even then, I only play online with my mates really on Halo 3 multiplatyer since I completed GTA 4 heh. It seems there is loads of little things to do after completeing the story mode, but as if I can be arsed to wander round the city looking for pigeons to kill after the awesomeness and addictiveness of the main game - which was a great deal of fun :-)

Reply to
DanB