Did someone say Rover SD1 V8?

Anyone know if this is a twin plenum model?

Peter

-- "Every 4 minutes, someone in the world dies of custard inhalation."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No, but buy it anyway.

Reply to
Homer

yum

Reply to
Theo

Well, you could always whip the injection off and replace it with carbs.

4xtwin downdraft Webbers aught to do it...
Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Some people really make me wonder. Whip it off and replace with throttle bodies and a mappable ECU, yes. Replace injection with manky carbs, WHAT?

Reply to
Doki

Eugh - why on earth would you do that ?

Carbs are the work of the devil - they've long since been banished back to the stone-age that they came from !!!!

Reply to
Nom

How about cost. Having said that. 8 bike carbs should do (how about 2 banks of 4 off a 1 litre). A lot more tunable than car carbs, able to flow really well, and can handle the rev level that any car can do.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I don't care, I want it!

Reply to
Pete MC

No - it's an EFI, like mine. Only the later Vitesse were TP.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why? The performance is more than adequate already. Unless of course you just want to make it *really* guzzle petrol.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mappable ECU on (existing) reworked plenum/intake/injectors? £150... Easier to tune than carbs too.

Aye - bin the "fuel metering gubbins" out the carbs and weld an injector bung into each of them...

Reply to
marko

:o) lnk sent to Mrs.

I'm looking for one of these. wonder what his reserve is.

*watches auction*

Mason

Reply to
Mason

No... but this is...

The plenum is that red-painted bit on top, a twin has like, two of those grafted together and costs a lot more due to rarity.

Personally, that one you are looking at looks to me better, it has uprated springs on the front (those yellow things, unless they've merely painted them) and it looks remarkably good underneath (rust is not your friend on these cars.) As anything, you want to view a car in the flesh before parting with your folding...

Reply to
Questions

Love the bit about never having been revved above 3000rpm - despite having all those engine mods.

Dunno about the lead free conversion, either - mines been run on unleaded for years - and taken to 6000 rpm at least once a day. ;-)

It's also going in all the expensive places to repair - wheel arches and sunroof. So much for the 5 grand spent on the body only a few years ago.

Dunno why. In standard form there's little difference in performance. It was simply a homolagation thing. Body condition (and interior) is all on these cars - the mechanics are easy sorted.

The EFI, is of course an auto. That might put some off. And is rusting in all the usual places. And no MOT.

They're usually fine underneath. Most of the things that rust are easily seen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ew, who cares, its an Auto and its ugly.

Reply to
DanTXD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ugly? You're obviously looking at a different car.

Late SD1 Rovers are one of the best looking cars of the last 30 years, definately the best looking big 5 seater hatchback I think there has ever been. What can you compare it to? Rover 800 Fastback? No comparison. Granada Mk3? Not even in the same league. Renault 30? I think not.

Far better looking than any poxy hatchback shopping car. Quicker than most as well.

As for auto not being good, I suspect you've never driven anything with a proper engine + auto box combination. The SD1 V8 has one of the best engines of the 20th century with a decent auto box. Not many are better, XJ8 is,

540i is, but they're both much more expensive than the SD1 ever was, and much less fun to drive.
Reply to
Pete M

Nah, I've always wanted to have a Rover V8 with 4 big twin barrels, just for the madness of it...

Reply to

I think a much more achievable (and just as lusty) engine can be had using a four barrel downdraught like a Weber 500. Also the venerable Holley. You'll find a lot of these on tracks, where they could be using injection if they wanted to.

Reply to
Questions

What can be made to work tolerably well for track use doesn't automatically make it the best for the road.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)