Re: Muffler design

Thanks Pete you have started another sniff petrol style thread.

Still it gives me the chance to remind everyone of the 2002 pug 306 driver Mark Fullalove I know it's not a joke name but it's always worth a mention.

Reply to
Depresion

Except it is just lump hammer and bolt in a Panda 30, what does a Panda

34 need? Just going by what I read on a site about tuning the 126 aircoolies. Yes I did consider one for a fun project. Supposedly the Panda 30 head is much better than the 126 and can be bolted on, or a whole engine bolted in with a little work.
Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Given that the 850cc is just an enlarged 652cc engine, I'd say the swap is just the same.

I could be wrong, but I can't see it myself.

Reply to
SteveH

Nedavno NeedforSwede2 pise:

| Just going by what I read on a site about tuning the 126 | aircoolies.

What site? Can you post an url?

Reply to
Yvan

Measure a Harley pipe, diameter, wall thickness, and length to the muffler connector. Fabricate exhaust pipes as close to those dimensions and install Harley mufflers on your fabricated pipes.

The sound will be unique to your engine.

Course the simple answer is to buy a Harley engine.

RB

Reply to
RB

Carlos Fandango, surely?

Reply to
Halmyre

And here for details of tuning a Fiat based Blitz buggy

NeedforSwede2

That I didn't know. I wonder if heat is the issue then? Physically bigger in the same space == less room for air to circulate? As well as bigger engine capacity == more heat.

possibly. Don't know.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Nedavno RB pise:

| Measure a Harley pipe, diameter, wall thickness, and length to the | muffler connector. Fabricate exhaust pipes as close to those | dimensions and install Harley mufflers on your fabricated pipes. | | The sound will be unique to your engine.

So it seems that that is the best way.

My first thought to fabricate mufflers. You can buy baffles, but since I did not knew what is inside mufflers, I posted my question to NG. But it seems that I will have to purchase one.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Depresion pise:

| > There is no need for words like that. I apologize for x posting, I | > did set followup-to, and I thought that should work. Any ideas what | > I did wrong? | >

| | Setting the follow up makes it look even moor like an attempt to | troll to be honest.

So what would be the right way if I want to post the same question to more than one NG?

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno NeedforSwede2 pise:

| >What site? Can you post an url? | >

| 10640/startrow-1/maxrows-20/e9c6cb6e.html| | And here for details of tuning a Fiat based Blitz buggy |
Thank you.

Reply to
Yvan

Glad to help

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Usually a perforated tube as a baffle and then either fibreglass wadding or wirewool/steel wool. That is what normally is used in modern muffler/silencer designs.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Nedavno NeedforSwede2 pise:

| > My first thought to fabricate mufflers. You can buy baffles, but | > since I did not knew what is inside mufflers, I posted my question | > to NG. But it seems that I will have to purchase one. | > | Usually a perforated tube as a baffle and then either fibreglass | wadding or wirewool/steel wool. | That is what normally is used in modern muffler/silencer designs.

That is what I am looking for. URL to drawings and photos of mufflers inside.

Reply to
Yvan

can't find any picture myself but Outer tube has a cap on one end with a small hole in it. The cap can either be bolted or welded on. inside the small hole is a smaller tube. that is the baffle. The baffle has the furthest end inside the muffler/silencer closed but all up the sides of the tube are rows of small holes to allow the gas to escape through the end of the muffler. Packing is often wrapped arround the baffle to further dampen sound.

shows inside a non packed car silencer. And at the bottom a packed muffler/silencer
help a little.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So how do so many bikes do it? In fact, come to that, how do Harley do it now (finally)?

Reply to
Adrian

For some reason I assume you're in eastern europe (lots of crazy looking Fiats on the web from that way). Demontweeks sell wadding and repackable silencers in the UK. You just need to find someone who sells them where you are. On the other hand in Cars and Car Conversions they once made a silencer with a bit of perforated tube (same diameter as the exhaust pipe, in this case from the inside of a dyno chamber) inside a larger tube, with wadding around it. Nice and easy to fabricate. If you can make up a couple, you can experiment with sound. Or you can look up resonance and start doing the maths as to what will actually cancel what frequencies.

Reply to
Doki

You could look for a type of silencer that I've not seen for a while with removable disks or plates I called Supertrapps (a quick Google shows you can still get them) they are a bit big and ugly but you can tune the back pressure and noise levels by changing the number of plates they use.

Reply to
Depresion

Generally speaking it's best not to but if you must then you have 2 possibilities:

1) Post individually to a couple for groups. 2) X post to 2 or 3 groups with a note about the cross post.

I think most people read your post had a look at the X posts and jumped to the assumption is was another troll.

If I were you looking to make a custom exhaust I'd be looking to make the primary pipes the same inside diameter as the exhaust ports about 20 inches long going directly into a collector and into a 600cc bike can. Try to make the 2 primaries of the same length and if possible make them so you can cut 4-5 inches out of both pipes if you fit a hot cam and bits later on. It won't sound like a Harley but it should be good for torque and have a surprisingly meaty sound.

Reply to
Depresion

You can't even get near the Harley sound. Your engine is a thumper. Firing order is all wrong.

Reply to
ah2