Re: Oil Cooler

yep you have to fill the cooler up or all the oil in your sump will fill it up and the oil pick up then wont find anything.

people that have thermostatically controlled oil coolers and don't fill them up first might suddenly have the oil light come on. this is because the oil has just got hot enough and has then let all the oil into the cooler.

Tim

Anyone know about after fitting one? How long will it take to get the oil > presure up again? I'm reckoning on having to crank the engine over until i > see the oil pressure gauge move. I'll also have a remote filter fitted; > this will be filled to the brim, but should i try and fill the cooler up as > well? > > Any ideas/recommendations? > > Phil > >
Reply to
Tim Fish

reader............lol

The OP isn't a Max Power Yoof, but new to oil coolers. Should have fitted one ages ago, but only finally got round to it. Turbo and no oil cooler? Not good. Was just confirming my suspicions that need to fill as much of the system as possible. I haven't got a thermostat fitted, but would have reckoned on the dead space needing to be filled with oil. Not sure it'd empty the sump (have to be a BIG cooler, or lots of pipework), but first time you go round a corner it could be interesting...

Reply to
Phil Howard

work out how much oil you will need to fill all the pipes and stuff up as well fill the filter with oil pour some into the pipes make sure you've got a thermostatically controlled take off plate start the engine up wait for the oil to et hot enough to open the thermo plate switch off check the oil level it's trial and error but I filled mine up by 1 litre past the top line and it never gave me any problems

Reply to
dojj