Renault Clio

Got a 1.4 clio which simply doesn't cut it. Had a go of a friends Clio 172 sport and its like shit off a shovel! Would it be possible to transplant a

1.8 or 2.0 laguna engine into a clio or would there be problems with the mountings and such?

Also wondering whats the biggest alloys without mods you can put on a Clio. I've got a W 2000 model Mk2 old shape.

TIA.

Reply to
sme

Sell 1.4 Clio, buy Clio 172 is the cheapest way to get a faster Clio, from both a cost to swap and insurance POV. Remember that the 172 will have different suspension and brakes and so on, and that a messed about 1.4 Clio with a Laguna engine in it is likely to be worth less than a standard 1.4 Clio. There might even be chassis differences between the models, for example, the Ka and the Sportka look broadly similar but the Sporka has wider crossmembers and so on.

Reply to
Doki

Bollocks to 17"s, I'm going to nick some tractor wheels. You can even have them bigger at the back and smaller at the front F1 style.

Reply to
Doki

Everything Doki said, and i think 17's will go straight on.

Reply to
Dan405

"Dan405" wrote in news:bun4vb$jt5ao$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165560.news.uni-berlin.de:

lol. Thanks for the sppedy response, if only my car was as fast!! I sort of agree as you ca ntell a 172 and a madeup Clio. I had a horrible feeling it would look like a bad boy racer car.

Thanks again. You realised that the next question is where would be the best place for alloys? I'm in Glasgow if that helps.

Reply to
sme

It probably wouldn't be obvious to the average person if you swapped all the bumpers and trim to match, lowered the suspension a bit and had the right engine in it. But bumpers, seats and trim are expensive, you could skimp on the suspension and maybe get a lowering kit instead of proper Renault items, but the V5 would show that it's had it's engine swapped, and that's the sort of thing that scares the s**te out of insurers and the people you want to buy your car when you're bored of it.

No idea. Try and get light ones (alloys are generally heavier than normal steel wheels and standard tyres, which means more unsprung weight, and more weight to be spun up when you put your toe down), and don't make them too big as you'll slow the car down. There are various calculators on the internet that will tell you what the diameter of your current wheel / tyre setup is, and what your new one will be, and how much difference this will make to the speedo and acceleration.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@demeter.uk.clara.net:

Too true. I thought of all this already but just wanted others opinions. :-)

I have the basic alloys that came with the car. They look too small for the arch though and make the car look top heavy. Although i asked the biggest wheel, i should have said bigger than the standard, which i honestly haven't looked at to see what size they are! I imagine they are

13" or 14". Basic Renault alloys for a 1.4 clio sport.
Reply to
sme

None of the older engines will fit into yours without fabrication of mounts etc

17's on -30mm suspension. PCD 100 x 4 and ET43 :)

-- Chet

Chet