Semi-OT: My Dad came over yesterday in his Frontera.

The 2.3 is all GM and to be honest quite quite awful.

The 2.5 is Isuzu and prone to popping HG's but slightly better than the 2.3 i.e. its still slow as f*ck.

The 2.8 sans intercooler is isuzu and lifted straight from the earlier trooper and never ever goes wrong. Later versions were fly by wire.

If you fit the intercooler from the 2.5 and turn the wick up abit, you end up with something that will move at a reasonable lick.

Even the 3.1 from a trooper is fittable but still limited to about 135hp.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yeah, but that would cost me the savings, fuel to drve back home.

Don't you live just about as far south as you can get without getting your feet wek.

Reply to
Elder

Is that the one fitted to the bigger Vx Monterey?

Reply to
Elder

He moved - he's (I think) in Eastleigh now. Google maps says it's 212 miles, which you should more or less do with £20 worth of fuel if you keep to a sensible speed on the way back. Ok, £25.

And getting there shouldn't cost too much. Look on

(a brilliant pikey-flight search engine), which points out the cheapest flights - should only cost £20-25 to get down to Southampton Airport. So about £50 all in all.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I used to be in Eastleigh, now moved a few miles south to West End.

The BX is suprisingly frugal on fuel if you're not revving the nuts off of it! I reckon you could do it on £25 of fuel easily.

Have you got roadside recovery? If so get a flight to Southampton (airport is about 2 miles away), reverse the car off my drive, I'll give you an old and broken dizzy cap to put on it and then call out the AA for recovery home. If AVM is right all you'll need is a £25 flight. Sorted, when can I expect you? :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I was joking, but that aside, the BX is a nice Motors (my uncle swears=20 by them, had a GTi and two Diesels and now has a Xantia), but it is=20 definatley a classic in the making. Thing about shonky old trucks is, in=20 good nick (washed and polished or at least rust treated), they don't=20 age. An old rangie looks good next to a new one, the Frontera shape was=20 tweaked but not changed so it was a brick from the start and always will=20 be, things linke Landcruisers and Pajeros don't look older when kept=20 shiney, and Whether you are taking about a Series, or a Defender, it is=20 a Land Rover. n reality it might bear only a superficial resembelance to=20 an original, but it "looks like a Land Rover". It has that shape,=20 whether 30 years old, or last one off the line.

You could stick the latest versions engine/box/brakes/toys into the=20 oldest versions chassis to get the most modern drive, but it wouldn't=20 look wrong sat there. Especially if it is a working version, either=20 covered in shit, splattered with militery insignia or covered in a=20 company livery.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Gregorian-Join Me (Schill Out Version)

Reply to
Elder

I thought you bought a place in Eastleigh - have you started letting that out and started expanding your property empire already? Or did it fall through?

As long as he's got the full relay package, that'll work a treat ;-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Frontera isn't a great vehicle on or off road. However many of my sailing chums have one just to haul boats up the slipway, so they are not totally piss poor. OTOH they are not good for on road drives and they aren't reliable. Commonest complaint seems to be that they leak like sieves.

If you want an auto 4x4 for pennies and you can afford the fuel get an Exploder. Cheap, cheerful, reasonably rapid so you don't feel like you're driving something from the dark ages and incredibly comfortable.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nah we had a flat in Eastleigh and were looking in the Eastleigh/ north Southampton area. We ended up here in West End :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

How do exploders sit in size comparison to say a Frontera and a Classic Rangie. Bigger than one, smaller than the other, bigger than both? And what engine options would the earlier ones have? I've considered an earlier Cherokee too, as size wise they appear to be pretty small.

Reply to
Elder

Bigger than the Frontera, and IIRC the same footprint as a Range Rover but not as tall. That makes the Explorer easier to drive on the motorway if you have to swerve but be warned, all 4x4s can roll if you are too vicious with the steering at speed.

Like Highlander, there is only one. All of the ones sold here got a 4.0 V6 which is labelled SOHC despite being DOHC. The V6 is derived from the Cologne engine and I'm told it's a drop in replacement for a Capri or Sierra. The gearbox is a Mazda five speed auto and it's one of the best features. Seamless gearchanges with overdrive lockout and lockdown into third or second for difficult conditions. 4x4 selection by rotary switch on the dash.

Yes, sadly they feel it inside as well. Compare several makes in as short a time as you can. IMO the ones that suit most needs are the Land Cruiser and the Ford. If you want a small, old, 4x4 there are the Terrano and the Maverick (same vehicle) it's a better choice than the Frontera IMO.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Saw a Mav parked up this afternoon. Not a bad looking small truck. Looked better than the Terranos I've seen but they are the same aren't they?

Reply to
Elder

Seen one done a few years ago, but for the life of me can't remember where. Had big ol' tyres on it.

Mind you, I one saw a mk4 Escort estate (white) 'monster truck' park up in my local retail park while I was out shopping there. Totally random, they just pulled up (into two spaces) and wandered into the shops. Everyone was just staring...

Reply to
Abo

Isn't the Monterey just a Trooper in a Skoda Superb/VW Passat kind of way?

Reply to
Abo