Polo 16v... Should I?

Mechanic mate of mine has a cosmetically scruffy but mechanically perfect, FSH, 60k mile 16v Polo on a 'P' plate which he's offered to me for plenty cheapness. He bought it for his girlfriend and spent plenty of time making sure it's spot on other than needing a few scuffs and scrapes on the body sorting out. 4 new good tyres on it, new brake pads, all the irritating little bits sorted like central locking on the fuel flap etc. Drives better than the one I had as a demo when I worked for VW, properly nice and precise with no slop / rattles / issues. Original VW radio cassette etc and previously owned by a middle aged housewife with plenty of cash but no parking ability..

Needs a gouge taking out of one rear 1/4 and the bumpers painting, and will need an exhaust back box pretty soon but it's a properly amusing little thing. In that rather nice bright metallic blue they did 'em in, tilt/slide roof, elecky windows, PAS, rear headrests and all the little bits that make a small car feel less poverty spec.

Talk me out of it. I don't really need it, but I remember the demo one I had being a laugh to own and I've not had a screamy little buzz bomb for a while.

Reply to
Pete M

Which shape of Polo is it? Link to a pic of one?

Reply to
DanB

This isn't it, but it's the same shape / wheels / trim etc.

Reply to
Pete M

One of those James Bond invisible ones is it?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Ooooo rare! Buy it!

:-)

Reply to
DanB

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A colour-coded white one. In a heavy snowstorm.

Reply to
Adrian

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS.

Pete M

Pete M gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Well, I was right about the weather, anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

I wouldn't. They're slow as f*ck and handle like, well, a VW Polo. And it's green. That car has no plus points, except it's probably cheap tax/insurance and might be reliable even though the picture alone brought back flash backs of one a mate owned at college that broke down and left us at the mercy of the tow truck that the AA had sent. It wasn't an AA one though, they'd obviously contracted it out, and it took 3 hours till someone showed. Hideous pile of shit.

Reply to
DanB

i won't talk you out of it i actually quite liked them. is it the 1.4? they was pretty pokey

Reply to
Vamp

[faboi =1]

Is it the 100BHP 1.4?

If so then that's a nice engine. Needs a good rev to go, but does go quite well. The 75BHP is worthy enough, but supposedly rather dull by comparison. We have a Lupo with the 100BHP and it's a hoot, and a total contrast to the TDI I usually drive.

Gearboxes have a reputation for being a bit fragile, but I've had no problems, Pedal box can let go, making it impossible to release the clutch- this was subject to warranty work and VW sometimes still fix them as a good will thing.

Other than that, a good car. Handling typical VW hatchback, so not exciting but safe and predictable, build generally pretty good, fairly reliable.

If you tidy it it will be easy to sell on.

But i thought you weren't very keen on VAG products?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I had a 3-door1.6 GLX of that era. Well spec'd and nimble little motor, could even spin the wheels in 2nd in the dry. Handling was a bit soft as standard tho.

Reply to
tomScotland

Yup.

This feels fine, and the mechanic who's got it now is one fussy bastard (and a VW Mastertech type chap)

I have no problem with *good* VAG stuff, it's the 'prestige stodge' that bores me senseless. Check my sig over the last few years, you'll find quite a few Golf GTis.

Reply to
Pete M

I do remember a couple of Mk2s in there.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

How much? Bird needs a car...

Reply to
Doki

More than that it's the early one, so I'd say go for it

Dull? The 75bhp 1.4 16v one only pulls when you get to within 300rpm of the red line and is flatter than a porpers pancake after an unfortunate accedent with a steam roller the rest of the time.

The Mk4 (6N) boxes are much better than the Mk5 6N2 ones that were made of play dough.

Reply to
Depresion

M or N reg? As the GLX didn't last long before being replaced with the 1.4

16v, same basic spec but 25bhp more and slightly stiffer lower suspension (10mm iirc)
Reply to
Depresion

The 75 bhp one isn't wonderful as the Mk3 Polo is a porky little thing. The 100 bhp one can be a giggle in a nippy small hatch type of way, which is why I'm considering it.

Reply to
Pete M

N reg.

Reply to
tomScotland

Not driven one. I do know the 100BHP is nice enough: I don't know how much heavier the Polo is than our Lupo, but probably not much, and the Lupo can be fun.

Reply to
Chris Bartram