Sidewall Deflection

We've had these 185/60/13s on the Ka for around 20,000 miles. The fronts are down to just over 4mm, the rears somewhere around 6mm.

When I first put 'em on I had some concern about sidewall deflection. Diddy ickly rims, lots of sidewall - but had no problems whatsoever.

Now I'm getting sidewall deflection at cornering speeds and loads where before it was _never_ an issue.

My first suspicion was that the pressures are low, but they're just fine. I can't believe that slightly warmer temperatures will make a difference, 'cos lets face it, tyres are not cold after the first few miles anyway. So I guess the tyres could be wearing a little?

Charlie's advice is, "yeah well we need at least 16" rims then, oh look, the Streetka uses 16" wheels, they'll go on just nicely."

Next she'll be wanting chrome 22s and a big V8 pickup. :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Do it :) Except get 17's :p

Reply to
DanTXD

I'm not getting 17s. I only want 16s if they don't look stupidly big (as in, some designs look bigger than they really are, some look smaller, heh).

Reply to
DervMan

Maybe black or anthracite might look quite cool and racey?

Reply to
DanTXD

Anthracite is already in the plan...

Reply to
DervMan

what is the condition of the sidewalls though? are they looking like they've been taking the strain lately? the simple answer would be to swap the wheels front to back and see whats happening then although you could just be experiencing a thing called "cheep tyres wear away quickly" syndrome, but i don't know what tyres you've got :)

Reply to
dojj

They don't look any different. Kermit is allergic to kerbs. If I were to kerb him, Charlie would slap me and vice-versa.

Nah, they're chilling out, man. :)

Yes. I could try that. :)

Aye, maybe. They're Falken ZE502s. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. :)

Oh, Dodge, guess what arrived in the post yesterday? Cracking stuff! I want to show up on the 18 September, after all, it does say that you don't care what we show up in...? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Flog it and get something fast. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I've yet to find anything quicker on any and all of my commuter routes.

Reply to
DervMan

Get off the footpath. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

The "gentleman" in a VR6 Golf was mouthing something similar to me the other night...

Reply to
DervMan

aha, falkens that explains it then they do tend to last forever and then some, but their grip is mediocre at best i have them on the sierra and even though they are great for lasting, and throing into corners and not worrying baout them wearing away in a few laps of the roundabout, it's the fact that they just don't have the grip my perelli's had these are 205 40 17's and the pereli's were 205 50 16's and i could go round the roundabout quicker on the bigger sidewall than the smaller one

goody goody gum drops :) (as someone i know has recently said when they were delivghted :) )

Reply to
dojj

Is it /definitely/ sidewall deflection? Tyres lose their "corners" more rapidly than body tread which can soften turn-in and reduce their ability to "carve" in corners - you may still have (almost) all the grip but not the confidence inspiring on rails feeling...

...might be worth checking the tracking too.

Alistair J Murray

It's happening at the back more.

A typical example would be the exit road off the A64 to the A162. If I'm tackling it at speed (or because I've "forgotten" to switch cruise off,

*cough* heh) I get a trace of understeer on initial turn in. A little bit of tyre wail from the front. If I lift off, I either get a neutral attitude or a trace of oversteer (kept in check by backing off the steering a trace) sometimes followed by a lurch as one or both of the rear wheels suddenly loses grip. When it lurches, both rear wheels howl their protest.

I've never been watching my g-meter when the back end breaks away, I've been too busy changing radio station or something... ;)

This causes some instability *cough splutter* as the ass swings out, but it does serve as a useful deterrent for any boy racer / "executive" tailgating me off the A64. :)

At the front, if I lunge into a corner there's that immediate bite and an absence of body roll. If it's a slow corner and I'm hard on the power I'll still spin the inside wheel. It's the intermediate bends where there's this awful lurch followed by some desire for electronic stability control (then I bolluck myself).

The car set up is _remarkably_ resistant to body roll,* at least, he no longer takes the shoulders off his tyres like he used to.

*for what it is, heh.
Reply to
DervMan

Hmm.

That shows a Pacific Green Ka on Ford's Streetka 16s. Needs lowering. I'm not sure if they're 195/45s or 195/40s, the Ka should wear 195/40s. Bit thin on the profile, heh.

Silver or a darker colour?

Reply to
DervMan

it looks fine whats with all the boy racer ,ax power look now dervy? have you turned to the dark side?

Reply to
dojj

That one isn't Kermy of course...

I'm making up for my Lotus Elise diesel conversion.

Reply to
DervMan

Silver. And does it need lowering?! Nah. Looks superb like that

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

eek!