Small, decent driving lights.

Hi all,

I need some driving lights. They can't be any larger than about 100mm dia, or they'll get in the way of the headlight beams. Ideally, they need to be around 90mm. I really would like them actually work though.

All the accessory shops seem to sell, are Ring "angel eye" things. They'd probably do the job, but I've had a few crap quality experiences off Ring in the past and I'd rather do without the angel eye business anyway.

Projector ones might be nice, but they seem to be difficult to come by with driving beams, and the only set I've had (Ring again, already fitted to a car I bought) actually sucked light away from the road when I turned them on.

Can anyone recommend anything that might fit my recess, so-to-speak?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Are they actually going to go into the grille? I expect either MK2 Golf or Polo (polo lamps being the smaller of the two) inner lamps will fit the bill. Made by hella, metal relfectors and hence you can put high wattage bulbs in them.

Reply to
Doki

They aren't going into a grille. They'll be going into the same "sugar scoop" recesses as the headlights, which are too small for the recesses, and look a bit daft.

I don't mind doing a bit of bodging to make them fit though, so Polo ones sound quite interesting, if they're small enough. I'll keep my eye out next time I'm up the scrappy.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Apparently they came as both fog and main beam lamps. The fog is 871 941

703, and the main beam is 867 941 783. I'm not sure if there's a standard as to which was fitted to uk cars. Whole new units aren't much more than a tenner.
Reply to
Doki

Sod that, what you want are PIAA projector beam spots.

I've ridden a bike with 'em.... cleared the outside lane of the motorway.

Reply to
SteveH

Yebbut they're not dirt cheap :D.

Reply to
Doki

Capri enthusiasts are now starting to fit the outer lamps from BMW 5 series as they have a far better projection.

Reply to
Conor

I've got one of the marketing managers from Ring in my class tomorrow night.

Do you want me to ask her, witht he above quote included? ;-)

David

Reply to
David Lane

They might be a bit on the big side, but I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

If there's any chance of a large discount, leave that bit out, or tell her it was a long time ago, and I'm sure the quality has improved no-end since :o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Sounds nice. If they're under a hundred quid a pair, I'll have them!

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Spoke to said marketing manager this evening. She said "leave it with me and I'll see what I can find".

She's apparently bringing a load of stuff in next week for everyone to choose from so I'll see what she has.

David

Reply to
David Lane

I take it all back. Ring are very nice people...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp