Smell the desperation :-)

I completely agree with your points of view. They are valid. Adrian=20 circulates around the same question :" Why lease a car for 30k a year=20 and not drive it."

The more special cars (the Lambo certainly) in the "short leasing" are=20 carrousel-cars, cars that are not ment to be driven but bought, sold,=20 resold, leased etc for fiscal reasons between companies and private=20 persons.

The schema is fairly simple and legal. It boils down to the fact that=20 those cars are paid for by the Taxpayer (often several times). The only=20 thing required is that the company who owns the car stays profitable.

As to your Golf: I drove (for work) till last week a 2.0 Subaru Legacy,=20

212000 km, 8 year's old: beaten up as only a city-intervention car can=20 be. It died with a broken clutch and a stone hitting the windscreen; all=20 in all for 2000 Eur expenses on a car I sold for 300 Eur. So I bought a=20 Volvo-tanc in Germany, a car which depreciated more than 50.000 Eur from=20 september 2005 to now. That's what I meant by taking the actual=20 situation as an opportunity. Nope: it isn't white.

Last but not least: the sympathy-factor... Well that's a bit of a=20 dilemma. No one who has to work for his money, likes the London City boy=20 with his brand new white Q7, bought with money easy gained. On the other=20 side: companies as Mercedes, BMW, Aston Martin, all those "special car"- makers even Rolls and Bentley are quite depending on those who make=20 quick money because they tend to spend it as fast they get it.=20

Just as example: I was some 8 years back at TVR Blackpool, picking up a=20 car for a client (yep, one of those fast and easy earners who sends=20 somebody who he must pay, to collect his TVR at the factory). TVR's=20 marketing director was boosting how good TVR was, that they had an=20 orderbook filled for 4 years. It was the time where every stock market=20 puppy *needed* to be seen driving a TVR. =20

Those puppies are no more but nor is TVR, nor is Marcos... and I=20 personally find the disappearing of those companies a loss. =20

If you want however to swap your Golf for a white Q7, this might be the=20 time ;-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Damn.

You forgot "Pub landlord" and "council" in your description, allegedly.

LS400s always make me think of geriatric paper shop proprietors, don't know why.

Reply to
Pete M

The way I see it, an LS has a few stages in its life before it's scrapped:

New: Asian businessman Nearly new: Pimp / dealer Getting on a bit: Pub landlord Nearly fit for scrap: Council estate dole scrounger trying to big himself up.

Reply to
SteveH

Bet you can't get an indicated 100mph out of most quads either, if you really feel the suicidal urge ;-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I have never owned, or managed a paper shop. And SteveH said they looked cheap and tacky so you can't be thinking of him.

Reply to
Elder

I neither live on a council estate, nor did I claim the dole when I owned it. Mind you I didn't scrap it either even though I know it was going for spares.

I would still have another if fuel budgets weren't considered. I pissed an moaned about the handling about halfway through my ownership, after the "newness" wore off, but I soon got used to how nice it rode, even very soft.

Reply to
Elder

Yebbut, reasonable mileage 2005 vehicles can be had for £11,000 ish. That's a very different car from the pre-2004 LS. The suspension is sorted, the interior is much, much better and the Cd is 0.25 which is astonishing. They also do around 25mpg when driven by clods and get towards 30mpg if not driven hard.

Still has the pimp/dealer/pub landlord/asian corner shop image though.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you go to the auctions, newer, slightly leggy versions, can be had for a good few thousand less than that.

However, I'd be worried 'Tariq' had been ragging them around the East End after finishing his 'executive' minicab shift.

Reply to
SteveH

I never suggested you have, old chap. In no way was my comment aimed towards you. That's just the image the LS brings up in my head. 'Pearly white' LS400, driven by a white haired old git who owns a papershop.

Not everything I type in 'ere is aimed at Steve H, y'know...

I almost vaguely fancied buying an LS400 once (and again when yours was for sale), but they're just 'not me' at all. I like the idea of a V8, Nakamichi sounds and oodles of toys but somehow Toyota managed to remove all the "want factor" from 'em.

I'd have another 24v Scorpio before I bought an LS, and I think the GS300 is just a bloated mess - even compared to a Frog Scorpio.

Reply to
Pete M

They've got nothing going for them in value terms, not economical, not cheap to run, not prestigious or aspirational. Anyone who wants one for business will lease one, anyone else won't pay much for them.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No diesel version doesn't help, either.

They must have lost a huge share of their market back to Mercedes - there are loads of S320 CDIs out there, and BMW 730ds.

Reply to
SteveH

TBH there's lots of similar priced stuff that's better (S class / 7 series / A8) or more desirable (Quattroporte, CLS, XJR) to make the LS a very odd choice. It's a great car, but it's only appeal new is it's not a BMW/Merc/Audi and it comes with all the toys as standard.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

But if you put Mercedes badges fore and aft on the Lexus most people would think it was some sort of S-class.

Reply to
Steve Firth

LS400s are too rare to have a reputation as anything. Anyone that's just an average-joe "I drive a diesel Mondeo and it's everything I need and want" and that;s pretty much where their knowledge ends, wouldn't know what an LS400 even was if it was parked next to them in Tescos car park.

Reply to
DanB

Still no diesel option, though - which is what must be killing their sales.

Reply to
SteveH

That, and also the rear seat massager massaged so much that I couldn't see after about 20 seconds...

Reply to
DanB

Which is where the Rage buggy, that can do like, 120mph, comes into it's own :-p

Reply to
DanB

TBH I can't think of anything more pikey than a diseasel "executive" car. The only engine worth having in the Jag is the 4.2V8 petrol. Everything else screams out that you really can't afford a Jag.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Blame the fleet managers....

Reply to
SteveH

Well indeed, of the modern (CATS equiped) jags for sale on Autotrader,

73 are diseasel, just 16 are 4.2 V8s. So it's obvious that pikey spec rules the roost.
Reply to
Steve Firth