Smell the desperation :-)

My M-Reg Petrol Turbo Estate would return around 27mpg in normal town driving around Wycombe with the occasional run over to Aylesbury. On a 220 mile motorway run I could average 36mpg (according to the computer) cruising between 70 and 80.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

You drive like a girl failing her driving test. Give me the keys and I'll get that back to the

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's twice you've done it now. Gallon starts with a G, you f****it.

And it's not exactly a high-performance engine - it's only a 150bhp low-blow thing. My Xantia with the same engine gets between 26.5 and about 30mpg, depending on how it's driven, so going from 500 to 600 if driven a bit more gently seems feasible to me. I've never driven mine like a granny.

I'm not even going to waste me time in telling you to f*ck off and stop being a condescending know-all prick, again.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

And you were obviously taught maths by some sort of innumerate f****it as well.

Going on my rough way of converting l/100km into mpg, which is 282.5/(the l/100km figure), that makes 8.8l/100km equivalent to 32.1mpg.

Here's how you'd work out what 27mpg actually equates to in euro-econospeak:

27 miles = 1 gallon 27 miles = 4.546 litres 27 * 1.609344 km = 4.546 litres 100km = (4.546 * 100) / (27 * 1.609344) litres

So 27mpg = 10.5l/100km

Reply to
AstraVanMann

heh:

vs

Tim S Kemp

Yup, that is how he drives it. When his missus drives it, it shows over

40mpg (she drives like Dervy). When Ian drives, he like to take roundabouts sideways.
Reply to
Elder

heh well if you didn't want the power you'd really buy an E220 or 520d wouldn't you.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No, it means you would run badly on 4 cylinders until you got to the place that would make it expensive.

Reply to
Elder

The caps are off on this one, but you can see the two dizzys with the rotor arms in the middle and the timing belt going round the outside.

You can see the caps with the plug leads up over the engine. The two caps are joined by wires.
the cap in place with the dizzy and leads for each bank.

Reply to
Elder

Belt drive on a V8 - I guess it's a safe and not an interference engine...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Utter bollocks: everybody who uses a car professionally, looks at the cost/km and fuel is a mayor factor in that.

If your assumption were true, people would -as in the US- drive a bomb- proof V8, happily guzzling 20-30 liter/ 100 km. This ain't the case

snip

You seem top point the finger to Adrian then...

Te extra range doesn't mean one has to drive 5 hours non-stop. It implies that one can drive the car several days and then fill up, this instead of being imposed to do so every 2 days.

It's not just the hassle of filling up and queuing up at the fuel station, the tanc always seems nearing empty just quite some way from a fuelstation or on the cold evening when you drive up the yard, having to start early next morning.

The extra range per tanc makes life and the car just so much easier.

As to 20 pages of lecture, Mr Range Turbo: how often do you dare to drive your Turbo-beast as the tuner intended? And what does it return as range? 200 miles or closer to 150? And more to the point because the fuel flow is utterly unimportant of such car: did you *ever* use the car where it was intended for? If not: why do you have such a car? Showing off purposes? "Sweating like f*ck because the airco uses too much fuel"? (or just doesn't work?)

Do what you do, do what you like.

Or to quote Mr Geoff Cousins, Managing Director of Jaguar in the UK.

"We are honoured to win this award for the third year running, and particularly pleased that it is the diesel engine that has impressed so soon after going on sale in September last year. With XJ sales up almost

40% on last year in the UK, and 55% of these are diesel sales, introducing a diesel derivative to the XJ range has certainly been a great success." "
Sadly for Jaguar:t they see the light somewhat 20 years too late and are no longer boss of their own destiny. But then again: nor is the British car industry for about the same reasons.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Fuck you too, dear Sir.

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I quite happily drive a bomb-proof V6 achieving 20 litres/100Km. It's rugged, simple, low maintenance and comfortable to drive. It has cost just £1500 a year including servicing costs and depreciation, excluding fuel. It will probably continue to be serviceable and comfortable for a few years more. As others have indicated here, that sort of cost is lost in the noise of the landslide depreciation of "quality" German diseasels.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ouch. can you replace them individually or is it a whole expensive pack?

Reply to
PCPaul

It's a whole pack replacement, £50 and I got it delivered to the house next day for that price. I thought that was fairly decent compared to the prices I've been asked to pay for Land Rover distributors/coils in the past.

Heavy sucker despite being fairly compact.

Apparently the 2002 onwards models use coils that fit over the spark plugs, the 2000 vehicle is a halfway house with long plug leads and an electronic box/coil pack replacing the distributor.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not quite innumerate, just 'foreign'.

TBH when I use google to convert stuff like that, I always throw an 'imperial' in there to make sure:

"325 miles per 52.3 litres in miles per imperial gallon"

Not sure if it's clever enough to take price into account though.

It can handle this:

"325 miles per 4720/89.9 litres in miles per imperial gallon"

... but I can't see a way to add (£47.20 at 89.9p per litre) into it to make it more 'English'.

Not that I need to, but if anyone out there is more nerdy than me and can make it work, I'd be interested..

Reply to
PCPaul

Not bad. It was the lack of availability of spare distributors that killed my Carlton :-(

Ah. Made it so they could use up the old bits, then.

Reply to
PCPaul

Hmm, handy, shows my 170 miles of £20 in the Puma at the moment is nearly

35mpg, despite chasing a Merc Sprinter from Wallington to Henley at *ahem* mph (wasn't you was it Astravanman?)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Sounds likely, although it was a longish production run and the parts are in demand for Datsun 280Zs to convert from a distributor and coil to full EFI.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Maybe, but given that he was quoting a uk website for fuel economy figures, it's beggars belief why he'd use the US gallon.

Reply to
AstraVanMann