Smell the desperation :-)

Googling car deals (as you do) I found myself on drive the deal.

Then my brain wandered to short term deals - goggled that too.

This chucked up

They're an intermediary who broker deals between those who want out and those who want in basically.

Anyway, check out some of the stuff on this page. Clearly the good time are over for some people.

The Q7s A5s and Gallardo particularly tickled my funny bone. Just goes to show you that there's a lot of people who have houses built on sand.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

That's correct but ask yourself: what is the use of leasing Gallardo? Showing off? The car will need (in excess of the lease) about 1 UKP/ mile...

The reason why it's leased in the first place is because it goes through a company, at the end of the contract is officially worthless and then goes to (probably) the owner of the company.

Today the car is sitting in a garage, unused. Its owner tries to sub- lease it but somehow I doubt that if somebody signs in for short term, the orginal leaser will put those paymets as incoming invoices. So in fact he swaps a stationary car for 2400 UKP untaxed cash...

On and with sand a lot of heavy structures are build, the amount of cement mixed through is however very imortant. Do not let the funny bone be to tickeled too much as the actual recession may move unexpectly closer to your own person.

In the mean time: see it the actual situation as an opportunity. I just bought (I do not like leasing) a big barge Volvo, 3 years old. Reduction to the asked price because of cash payment = 50%... there is indeed some panic outthere.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Tom De Moor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

More to the point, why the f*ck pay to lease it on 30k/year, then only do

3400 miles in nine months...?
Reply to
Adrian

Tom De Moor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, it goes back to the lease company.

No, the new lessee pays it straight to the lease company, whilst the ex- lessee breathes a sigh of relief that he's not got to pay £2500/mo for the next 15mo.

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry, did you say FIFTY per cent off the screen price?

Reply to
Phileaus Leaius

Presumably because the business appointments that it was intended to be driven to didn't end up happening, hence not being able to afford the lease payments any more?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

So it costs as much to run as buying a rail ticket.

Are you sure that you thought your rant through before making it?

Reply to
Steve Firth

So do second hand car prices at the moment. Ignoring the jokers and the chancers, a quick tour of Autotrader shows that some good buys are available. I was thinkming of a new quad bike for the farm, instead I've decided to get a relatively new Suzuki Jimny because they are available for about 1/4 the price of a new quad bike and are slightly more useful on a farm. In general if a vehicle has "4x4" in the description, or has an engine larger than 2.0 litres the prices have collapsed down to pocket money levels.

There are some jokers around though - I almost laughed out loud at the bloke trying to sell a Ford Exploder for £20,000.

Reply to
Steve Firth

There are some shockers in there.

£411 / month for an old shape, poverty BMW 3-series cabrio.

ROFL.

Reply to
SteveH

I've been monitoring the auction results.

1 year old Chrysler 300C CRD Touring, £11k.

Also been watching the price of S-Type TVD6s. They've lost about £4-£5k since I thought about buying one.

Not looked at the XJ TDV6 prices for a month or so, but I suspect they're very affordable now, too.

This could be very interesting if I get the expected job offer next week.

Reply to
SteveH

Tom

As I am sure you are aware, through choice I drive an 8 year old Golf with

115, 000 miles on the clock. I fix it myself and it pretty much pays its own way. It is what I need and really no more.

Yes I do have my toy car, but that's no big investment and is more something to do than anything else. Over the last 3 years I won't have spent more than a grand on it including buying it. That's pretty good value I reckon and can easily be recouped. There will always be £1,000 in a bike engined car and I don't imagine it engenders much in the way of jealousy ;-)

It doesn't stop me howver from noticing all the people driving around in the flash metal with an air of greatly inflated self importance. We all know the type. If, as there now appear to be, signs that it really was all smoke and mirrors, I have no great sympathy for them. I wasn't impressed then, and I'm not now.

It may just be me, but the fact I had a brand new Q7 in oh so (currently) fashionable white driving right up my chuff the other night makes me find it all the more a bit distastefull.

Just my own weird point of view.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. My daughter just managed to walk out of one job and straight into another, so there's obviously work around for people with a decent track record, and I don't think you've any worries on that score. I've seen people struggling in my industry but it's all the ones that everyone expected to be jobless because they have a rep. that stinks in some way.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks.

Had the first interview a month ago now! - also met the project manager and the ops. manager for this region.

Don't know why it's taking so long to get the offers out - HR have already told me I'm the 'strongest candidate on the region'.

Reply to
SteveH

Jimnys are brilliant off road. My mum still has one and it gets used off road regularly. Nine years old , 90k on it and it's *never* gone wrong. At all.

Unfortunately, they are just about the worst vehicle I've ever driven on the road :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Oh I know that, but as I said, it's a replacement for a quad, so they're damned good buys at current prices.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I still can't believe the price those two LS430s you posted went through for. That was silly depreciation for 2 years old.

Reply to
Elder

Good luck.

Reply to
Elder

Nah, Rage Buggy - YKIMS :-D

Reply to
DanB

Fuck that, Range Rover!!!.

Reply to
Pete M

Just a tad over-wide for the use I want to put a vehicle to.

On the other side of things, I agree with Steve H, look how bloody cheap a Lexus is these days. I wouldn't even mind looking like a drug-dealing pimp.

Reply to
Steve Firth