Strange boy racer observation

And in other news Doki is quoted as saying:

Good gradient = Cliff like in verticalisticness? :)

Reply to
Chet

No

I live in the countryside!

There are speed cameras on other roads, but not on motorways. You seem to think that the majority of speeders who get caught, are not getting caught for speeding?

The majority of speeders who get caught, are caught by speed cameras! The majority of speeders who get caught, are not caught on motorways! There are literally millions of people who drive above the speed limit on motorways every single day, very very few of them get caught. How can the odds of being caught speeding on motorways be high? It's not high compared to the amount of speeders caught each day. It's not high compared to miles travelled per person per day. It's not high compared to the amount of trips per person per day. It's not high compared to the amount of enforcement per road/trip/day.

Yes you can.

I can make an equally pointless comment, that you can't make a 60-mile trip on a non-motorway without passing at least 5 speed cameras.

T.

Reply to
Trooper

I withdraw from this discussion - it's not going anywhere !

What I'm saying, boils down to this :

If you drive continually way above the limit, on a motorway, you WILL see a Traffic car, and hence you WILL be busted.

If you do the same on a non-motorway, the chances of seeing a Traffic car or camera, are less than definate.

My last post on the matter - respond if you like, but I'm not gonna read it :D

Reply to
Nom

indeed

Thats a logical fallacy. Whenever I drive on the motorway, I spend most of my time (where possible) above the speed limit. I have seen the occasional traffic car, I have not been caught speeding. Do you see?

Doing the same on a non-motorway, the chances of seeing a camera are greater than the chances of seeing a traffic car on the motorway. Ergo, the chances of being caught are greater.

I bet :-P

T.

Reply to
Trooper

There's a nasty S bend on the A603 between Willington and Moggerhanger on the road from Bedford to Sandy. It's well signposted, flat and open. I used to drive up and down the road every day. And once a week or so there'd be a car upside down in the field next to this bend. As you rightly say, I can only think that "they must simply ride straight at it at inter-galactic velocities."

I would have thought such accidents were grounds for prosecution for driving without due care. These people must be asleep at the wheel.

Reply to
Huge

That's how alot of young uns kill themselves. They see a bend or similar, think "Shit we're doing 60" and pile on the brakes when they could've actually driven round it.

Reply to
Conor

Huge waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Moggerhanger, what an excellent name!

Pete M.

Reply to
Pete M

Years ago, I was travelling to Edinburgh from Harpenden, mostly via the A1. North of Newcastle, the road becomes single-carriageway, and signs are affixed at intervals detailing how many accidents, or lives have been lost on the next section of road.

The road up there is beautiful; perfect cambers, long sightlines, gentle curves, no blind spots or side-roads to speak of.

And yet, there's the signs. The drivers up there must be going at truly phenomenal speeds, certainly in excess of a ton, to cause that many accidents. They must also be largely incredibly thick, too.

North of the border, there were GATSOs. Back then, they were new and everyone was a bit scared of them; didn't know quite what to make of them. Everyone did 55 MPH there; not a single speeding loonie did I see.

Presumably now with familiarity will have come contempt; people will now slow for the cameras, and then welly it after the camera, like they do everywhere else.

Reply to
Dan Holdsworth

It is, isn't it?

Cold Christmas isn't far away, either.

Reply to
Huge

Huge waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Six Mile Bottom, near Newmarket was one of my favourites... gave me this fond idea J-Lo for some reason.

Pete M

Reply to
Pete M

I'll see your Cold Christmas and raise you a Barton-in-the-Beans, which was a couple of miles away from (one of) my childhood homes in Newton Burgoland.

Reply to
Grant Mason

Time to play my trump card. My parents used to live in a village in Somerset called...

Wait for it ...

Nempnet Thrubwell.

Reply to
Huge

The Lincolnshire Wolds near Spilsby can muster, amost others, Claxby Pluckacre, Mavis Enderby, Belchford, Fulletby, Salmonby, Bag Enderby, Ashby Puerorum, Stenigot, Sloothby, Cumberworth, Hogsthorpe, Wrangle, New Leake and Stickford.

--

"If laws are to be respected, they must be worthy of respect."

Reply to
PeterE

You know you're illiterate when you can't think of how to vandalise a sign for Uckfield.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, here in liverpool, you can head down Queens Drive, turn left onto MenLove Avenue, and then go past Camp Hill.

Reply to
Lum

Christmas Pie, near Normandy, Surrey. Cold Slad, Gloucestershire near Birdlip.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I fold ;-)

Reply to
Grant Mason

Ah, well, also in Liverpool (fellow scouser eh?) in the depths of sunny Dingle, you have the fantastically dodgily named "Upper Mann Street"

Pete M

Reply to
Pete M

Incredibly the bit of road in Northumberland you are talking about used to be three lanes. North, South and head on. I used to use this road frequently in the 70s to go between Tyneside and a holiday home in Newton and could do most of the A1 (except Feltham) at over 100 on the bike.

Reply to
Purditer

I think that beats my "Nether Wallop" and a rather surreal "World's End."

Reply to
Scott M