Suzuki Swift

Any good? Specifically a 1986 model, so one of the first I think

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well its Japanesse and made in 1986, what do you think?

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Well I'm guessing its gonna be well ahead of its European equivelents, and the engine looks pretty good (101bhp from a 1.3 twin cam), but I'm not sure about the handling. As its an early one its has 'I beam' suspension (whatever that is) and drums on the back. By all acounts it was improved in the mark 2 (independant suspension and discs), but with 101bhp and only

750kgs for £400 I reckon it should be a laugh, and fairly economical.

Looks like the MR2 may be up for sale, to be replaced by a nicer MR2 and a Swift!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Search some of the Austalian Swift sites. They do silly things with=20 their little monsters.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Mostly a heap of s**te.

GTI quite fun, though.

Get a Charade GTti instead.

Reply to
SteveH

wasn't there a swift turbo? or a swift GTi? i think they looks a bit s**te myself, similar to an old old micra in shape.

Reply to
Vamp

1 litre turbo aint they? nutter lil bastard things!
Reply to
Vamp

ISTR, yeah.

1lt turbo 3-pot. Sound like 1/2 a 911 Turbo.

I want one - there's some in Retro Cars this month. Apparently 150bhp is piss easy to get out of one.

*thud*
Reply to
SteveH

There was a Swift GTi, but not a swift turbo. there was a Diahatsu Chirade turbo (GTTi) FWD and a Toyota Starlet/Glanza turbo though.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Starlet/Glanza turbo mate. Small, little engine turbo, RWD. if getting a Saab falls through, might look at the latest model Glanza I can find. There used to be one that hassled me on the Motorway everymorning at about 80. Not bad for a little buzz bomb.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Oh and nearly forgot, there was a rare saloon bodied 4x4 swift. Mechanically identical engine and front suspension wise, but no seperate transfer box.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

starlet turbo was not RWD was it?

Reply to
Vamp

No, they're s**te.

Bwhahahahahaah. Oh, you were serious.

The only way a Swift makes sense is if you get it with a Subaru Justy badge on it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you refer to the 100bhp 1.3 - you'll be surprised how fast it is...

Reply to
DanTXD
[...]

AIUI it's the same idea as the mk1 Golf; trailing arms on a torsion beam giving, in effect, IRS with a roll bar.

Worked for the Golf...

Alistair J Murray

Well obviously it'd be a GTi.

Not as common as swifts though. Just want summat cheap to pootle about in, thats not completely boring. I'll still have the XR and hopefully another MR2 to play in. I figure a swift GTi should be good on fuel if you dont cain it, tax is cheap, insurance is cheap, hopefully if i find a good one it should break down. Bit more interesting than a little diesel hatchback!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It is indeed what I refer to. Might go have a look at one at the weekend and find out.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not really. A friend of mine had the GTi version and I was thoroughly unimpressed when I drove it. And that was when it was 2 years old.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

"Sleeker GT Phwoar" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net... Search some of the Austalian Swift sites. They do silly things with their little monsters.

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Nope. But a car mag here had one running 11s with surprisingly few mods. IIRC it was turbo upgrade, intercooler, exhaust, induction, computer and fuel system. They didn't even crack the engine open.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston