TD5 tuning.

ISTR it being said that it was worth getting the TD5s put onto testbook and recalibrated at intervals, to restore facture tune settings or somesuch.

is this true, or is it horseshit? It's obviously going to cost to get it done, but if it improves the running/power/economy than it'd have to be good.

or would I be better off putting the money into chipping it, and if so, any recommendadions pro or con the various different offerings?

I'm not keen on taking the ECU apart and making with the soldering iron inside, and not that keen on posting it off for someone else to do so. It's an early motor (1999) so likely doesn't have a socketed ECU or owt. An external plug-in solution would be preferred, especially if it allows for adjusting the tune myself once fitted.

Judging from what I hear, and from previous experience with the TDi, tuning it for a bit more performance makes it go better and boosts the economy a tad at the same time, probably 'cos you no longer have to rev the nuts off it to get any sort of action :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not heard that before but then I probably don't move in the right circles.

A good way to reset the ECU is to disconnect the battery for a few of hours. I don't know if it forgets *everything* about the engine but it certainly needs to relearn it after such a power down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Always check mind. I had a Rover 820 that forgot EVERYTHING if you didn't keep 12v on.

Guess how I found out! You could set it to re-tune its self but it was still not sufficent to pass the emissions withour being plugged in to one of Rovers computers at then £45 an hour. That was the catalyst for me getting my first RR V8... no dumb computers!

I seem to have gone full circle.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Had my first disco td5 for about 2 years found it a little be low on power, but a friend of mine had 1 which had been remapped WOW it went like sh%$ of a shovel. So I had mine done. the difference in power to standard is loads plus its better on fuel. Then some woman ran into my disco writing it off. Her insurance paid out so I brought another 1 had it 2 weeks and hated the power so went and got this 1 remapped. cost me £295 but worth every penny

Indi

One of the LR magazines was starting a competition to find the "Fastest Defender" recently. I think it was sponsored by "Twisted Performance" but obviously other tuning companies were involved. I don't know what the outcome was (or if it's still on-going), but it could be worth investigating.

Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

I had one of those mod chips in a TD5, it was bloody great :)

Reply to
Nige

This chap is very good...............

He did my TD5 a while back, really knows his stuff and will give you a personalised tune to match your requirements. Much better than a plug-in box that tends to just overfuel the engine which is bad long-term

Reply to
Andy

On or around Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:13:17 +0100, "Andy" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, looked at that - sounds good but at the price so it should be - it's a bit of a con that the remap-by-post costs the same, IMO.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:34:05 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

Anyone heard anything good/bad about this lot? I like self-install, plug-in and the ability to tweak it.

Austin Shackles

These people do something similar - I don't know if there's self-tweak ability.
know nothing about them. I've inherited a Superchips remap on my 2002 Disco 2 auto.
works very well and gives me back the sort of performance that I lost when moving from a V8 to a 300Tdi on the RRC. It may not be the best example of tweaking for better low speed torque but it has given me no concerns. Some of the Defender remaps for the TD5 really do chuck in the low down torque.

Reply to
Dougal

Should have just kept your ECU and put it in the new one. Will then only need Autologic or TestBook to do a security learn and all goes from there.

-Craig B

Reply to
CraigB

On or around Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:58:26 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

does look similar, although they claim to do like TD5alive and tune it to your specific engine.

TD5alive looks good but I'm a bit bothered about the thing that they can do a generic remap-by-post, which costs the same as the individual hands-on in-person thing. Now, the latter sounds like it should be more work, so i'd expect it to cost more. After all, if I remove the ECU (mine is too old to be flashable) and post it to them, that's one job (admittedly not hard) they don't have to do - also, they say they do tuning on-the road in real-world tests on your own vehicle, which sounds great and I don't doubt they know what they're doing, but if all that lot costs (say) 400 quid, then i can't see a generic off-the-shelf remap on an ECU which someone else has removed should cost the same.

I think I'll try the chipexpress lot, they also offer a 14-day no-quibble refund if you don't like it, which seems fair. 14 days is enough for me to run a tankful through and assess any fuel-economy benefits, if it turns out to drink more fuel, i can send it back and say so.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

thusly:

self-install, plug-in

self-tweak

hands-on

work, so i'd

real-world

no-quibble

What are the insurance implications of a remap on the ECU? Is it classed as a mod thus invalidating insurance - they have a habit of serious poking arround to avoid liability in injury / death type accidents.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

>> These people do something similar - I don't know if there's> self-tweak

Yes.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:39:55 +0100, "Andrew Mawson" enlightened us thusly:

it depends on the insurer. They should be notified, and some will charge more or refuse cover. It probably also depends on how much of a remap: changint it from 138BHP to 160BHP might be OK, but doing a serious rework of the intercooler and so on and upping the boost to get 250BHP might be thought of as OTT.

Of course, a thing that can be tracelessly removed from the vehicle can be removed before the insurance assessors get to look at it... not that us honest folk would do such things. I'll be assessing the cost benefit and one of the factors in that is whether the insurance cost will be affected and if so by how much. The consensus of most FAQs on the subject is that mild remaps are OK with several mainstream insurers, but you still have to notify.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In my limited experience insurance assessors don't even bother looking for such things.

When I wrote off a couple of thousand quid's worth of motorcycle they didn't even bother to see if the exhaust was kite marked or if any engine mods had been done, never mind checking if there's been a clever cam fitted or even if the tyres were suitable for that vehicle.

The 'engineer' turned up, looked at the wreckage (didn't actually touch it) and walked away to have a cup of tea...

Reply to
William Black

But was anyone killed or seriously injured who may have had a claim for a few hundred thousand?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was seriously injured and had a claim for several thousand pounds.

The inspection was after I'd got out of hospital.

Reply to
William Black

Just seen more on "The Fastest Defender". It's in LR Monthly magazine & on their website

and is happening at Bruntingthorpe aerodrome in Leicestershire, will take place on Tuesday 29 September. Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

On or around Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:49:31 +0100, William Black enlightened us thusly:

I think they take it a bit more seriously if there's the chance of dodging a

6-figure payout by so doing. In general though, you're right, they don't make much fuss over smallish claims
Reply to
Austin Shackles