Two Volvo 850 T5 questions

go out and buy it, or do you steal petrol as well????

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Dunno, TRACS is a waste of time, and AC in most early 850's either isn't working or has gone thru a costly repair by now!

Reply to
Jamesy

Huh ? That's the proper way for TC to operate ! By applying the brakes, it forces the diff to send the power to the other wheel.

The power-sap methods are a load of rubbish - you're reducing power to BOTH wheels, when you only need to reduce it to one. On top of that, the last thing you need when pulling out of a junction into traffic, is a loss of power ! I've experienced that once in a BMW, and it wasn't nice !

Yes, because you can't defy the laws of physics ! If you're sending more power to the wheels than both the tyres can cope with, they're obviously gonna spin !

Ovlov's TC may well be complete rubbish, but at least it's going about things the right way.

Power-sap traction control is a JOKE.

Reply to
Nom

Agreed.

On it's own I'd agree. However, when combined with the wheel-braking TC it can be very effective.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I've had no experience of systems that combine both methods, but I can see how it would work well, as long as the power-sap only happened when the laws of Physics were being broken :)

Wheel-brake method is effectively the same way that the TorSen diff in my TI works - it sends more power to the most-loaded wheel. You can still spin both wheels in 1st if you dump the clutch, or floor the throttle, but unlike Volvo's system, it copes just fine 2nd gear upwards.

Reply to
Nom

Yep. Pretty much maximises power-to-the-road.

Yup, up to a point anyways. As I understand it, a TorSen diff has a maximum torque ratio between sides, which gives better resistance to wheel spin than conventional diff action, but if you have zero grip on one wheel, you still have zero drive to the other. Braked TC would brake the wheel with zero grip and all drive would go to the other wheel, so on snow and suchlike it might actually be better than a TorSen, if properly set up, but without the torque-steer problems of a conventional LSD.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yea cos you've never downloaded a song or anything have you saint Tim :)

Reply to
Dan405

The reason T5s (especially modded ones) can't cope in second as well as your Rover is probably down to the shedload of extra torque....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Just sat here, in front of me, Gumball 3000 the movie. Original.

Now, where were we???

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Not quite sure what you meant by your reply - ho hum :) If i like it i might buy it, if i don't, i won't. I think this is perfectly resonable, to try before i buy. Its only a 700mb DivX so its not gonna be 100% quality and have DTS sound is it.

Reply to
Dan405

Actually it would clearly be down to the Rover's superior handling.

/me legs it

Reply to
Lordy

I don't think the DVD has DTS either...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well it'll have better sound than the DivX rip :)

Reply to
Dan405

Correct.

Agreed.

Reply to
Nom

Yep, quite probably.

However, I've removed the torque-limiter on mine. Never had it tested, but other people running the same 12PSI with the same mod, have reported around

300Nm of torque (up from the stock 240Nm). Still not as much as a modded T5, but it's enough for me (for now) :)
Reply to
Nom

LOL

Reply to
Nom

...and lack of LSD (unless aftermarket fitted) admittedly.

Reply to
Jamesy

The way I see may Rovers being driven it's obvious that they are able to get hold of plenty of LSD.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

ah I always wondered what they were smoking in those pipes.

Reply to
Theo

Can you smoke LSD?

Reply to