Vista

[snip]

Are there any other words in the English dictionary that you don't understand besides the word "include"? It does not mean, as you seem to imagine, that the list provided is full and definitive.

OSX 10.5 makes proper use of the dual core CPU. It also makes proper use of the quad core + hyperthreading CPU and of the eight core + hyperthreading CPU. Indeed, the announcement says nothing about "being able to make proper use of the dual core CPU" and you seem to be clueless about the actual configuration of current Macs (no surprise there).

It's not "theoretical", the OS will address 16TB of RAM, end of. Windows

64 bit versions are limited to 128Gb of RAM. That's a bizarre interpretation of 64 bit addressing.

Untrue, XP64 does not have 32bit support. Nor does Vista64. Indeed any

64bit version of Windows has the wonderful feature that they only support hardware with 64 bit drivers, and 32 bit software installers refuse to install the software.

And XP64 is unsupported.

Leopard (10.5) is 64 bit and runs smoothly with the ability to address

4Tb of RAM and 16 exabytes of VM. Compare that with the crap 64 bit 'support' in Windows.

Most Mac users were unaware that the OS has been upgraded to 64 bit because every feature of their previous OS and all of their applications and drivers continued to work. Compare that with the fuckup that is Windows 64.

Perhaps you can point to a version of Windows with these features?

Well they make glaringly obvious fuckups such as selling people the beta versions of Vista and XP 64 and the mugs who buy happily pay for the crap.

What I like about Windows Fanbois is that they are so glaringly ignorant that it doesn't take much effort to highlight the fact.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Buy Mac, turn it on. Use it.

Fuck, that was hard.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What makes me laugh is that the Windows fanbois will contemplate paying

190 quid for "Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Edition DVD"

While, in the case of Conor, pouring scorn on Leopard at £83 for a 64bit OS that runs transparently on 32 and 64 bit hardware, transparently supports 32 and 64bit drivers and software, makes more efficient use of the same Intel platform and can address 32 times the physical RAM that the "64 bit" version of Windows can address.

It's actually amusing to see the posts from people running Windows on their Macs via Boot Camp who are asking why Windows is only addressing the first 3GB of RAM when Leopard addresses the installed 8GB.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Works here straight out of the box. Been doing its job as delivered for the last 9-10 months.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

It will make a handsome if expensive door stop while you use a PC that works and cost half as much.

Reply to
Depresion

Yawn all you like - the fact you're treating a perfectly reasonable reply that doesn't happen to align with your own point of view with that kind of attitude speaks volumes about you really.

XP was much better from day one than the heap of shit that is 'Win ME', the stepping stone between 98 and XP you have conveniently omitted to mention, and I'd suggest that whilst not as unstable and flawed as ME, Vista is the equivalent to that than a patched 98 in the great scheme of 'adopted by the masses and why.

And yes, I'm more than aware of how Win 98 with all the updates is essentially ME, but without managing to be quite as unstable.

Regardless, I think you will find that most businesses went over to XP from Win 2k Pro rather than any form of Win 98...

Reply to
JackH

Erm, they're not *all* crippled.

Reply to
JackH

Ahhh, you are making it up as you go along.

Spec for spec, Apple machines are no more expensive than WinTel machines.

It's just that people compare expensive, aluminium Macs with disposable Packard Bell plastic s**te.

Reply to
SteveH

And there speaks someone who has never used a Mac, or was too stupid to understand Unix. Or basic arithmetic.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Name a Windows release that isn't crippled.

Reply to
Steve Firth

To be fair.... I never really had too many issues with XP Pro or 2k Pro when I used them at work.

Mind you, they were both several years old by the time we started using them, so there was absolutely no excuse for them not to work properly by that stage.

Reply to
SteveH

Buy a PC. Turn it on. Use it.

Just as hard.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, it's obvious from his other post, ref: OSX always crashing.....

He may have used a Mac, but I suspect it was a particularly buggy version of one of the 'classic' (pre-OSX) operating systems.

Reply to
SteveH

Universal binary. Essentially 2 applications in one download - one for PPC machines and one for Intel machines.

When comparing drive space once installed, you can only make a valid comparison if you trawl through your Windows drive looking for all the associated s**te that seemingly get scattered randomly around your file system on installation.

At least OSX applications are pretty much drag and drop-able.

Reply to
SteveH

You missed:

Install spyware protection Install anti-virus protection Download several gigabytes of updates Reboot a dozen times Go into preferences and f*ck about with stuff so it runs properly on your hardware De-install all the trial versions of s**te installed Reboot again Plug in printer, find out you need to install something else, the reboot. Again.

Use for a few days, then repeat the download / update / reboot cycle on annoyingly regular occasions until you realise that you've wasted so much time you may as well have bought a Mac.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmmm. Windows 2008 Datacenter edition supports 2TB and 64 CPU cores now. I'm sure next versions will catch up in time for when we can actually buy a 16TB pc.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

We used them on one project that I worked on - indeed most work still seems to use 2K server somewhere since some vendors insist on writing software only for Windows - they're kept reliable by running them as VMs under ESX and restarting the VM every so often. Or rather often.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Except it doesn't work like that, does it?

Buy a PC, turn it on.

Wait for several hours while it "configures", rings home to Microsoft, decides that it is permitted to run on your hardware. Demands Licence numbers.

Reboot several times.

Try to load software. Wait for several hours as installers grumble their way through the install. Fill in Licence numbers, again.

Reboot once for each package. If you're lucky.

Log in.

Crash.

Welcome to the Windows experience.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Erm.

Hang on.

Lol.

Basic Mac Pro. Quad core Xeon Nehalem, 3 gig ram, 640 gig HD, 512 meg vid card, £1899 inc vat, + £635 for a 24" monitor. Total £2534. Add a vista business OEM for £113

Basic HP Z400, 3 gig RAM, 320 gig HD, no vid, £1417 inc vat, + £50 for a

9500GT 512meg, +£60 for a 320 gig SATA, + £320 for 24" monitor. Total £1847. Add an OSX for £85...

So, for a Mac with a Windows OS and OSX £2647. For a PC with Windows and OSX £1932. Spec for spec though Apple machines are no more expensive than WinTel machines, except when they most obviously are.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's Windows 2008 Datacenter edition, licensed at $3000 per processor that you're referring to?

Just checking.

And it's inferior to a £90 OS in terms of its hardware capability?

Just checking.

Reply to
Steve Firth