Vista

Of course they didn't. That's why Bill Gates recognised the software was more important than the computer long before anyone else did because without software, a computer is a doorstop.

Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Erm, it has Bluetooth.

And IMAP / POP email, Exchange sync, including Push, the only mobile browser that actually works properly and a lot of other stuff that obviously isn't advanced....

Aye, 'cos drag and drop is a much better way of organising 60GB of media files....

Reply to
SteveH

Go and read up on the subject, rather than relying on Microsoft's propaganda. Unlike you and Ronny I was around then, and watched events as they unfolded. Microsoft had not a single clue what was about to happen. If they had they wouldn't have designed MS-DOS to be lame, crippled pile of cack it was. Not that MS did much design though, since DOS was bought in.

Back then MS were but players without any experience to speak of. Bill's biggest "success" had been a contract with Apple.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In name but not in functionality. Indeed, the iPhone has a love / hate relationship with the owners I know. Love the interface. Eventually hate the restrictions.

The new update due this summer will, I'm sure, help things out.

You need to try other mobile browsers.

iTunes is "major suckage" to quote Charlie. She's from California, not too far from Silicon Valley, so she should know... :p

Reply to
DervMan

Only just got 3G though....

Reply to
Conor

So you were in IT when they wrote BASIC for the Altair?

Or are you referring to when they moved from providing products for Apple computers?

Perhaps you'd care to tell me what the massively better alternative to CP/M was?

Reply to
Conor

I think tethering is the only thing that I miss on mine. But it's only first gen, so I don't suppose it would be all that useful at GPRS speeds anyway.

Some of the updates look really handy - mostly the rumour that TomTom will finally make it onto the 3G iPhone - at which point I reckon I'll be tempted to upgrade my original iPhone.

I have. Nothing comes close to the way Safari works with the conductive touch screen.

The only reason people complain about iTunes is that it's Apple branded. If it were an MS product, there wouldn't be any complaints about it....

Reply to
SteveH

Considering in 1977 Apple offered licenced Applesoft BASIC from Microsoft for $31,000, they're hardly likely to have offered their entire IP for $6500 are they, especially as they still had an income from MITS.

Then there's all the products Microsoft made for Apple such as TASC and the Microsoft Softcard.

You might actually want to do some homework before you do. And as for "talking utter crap", it appears you're doing a fine job.

Please feel free to continue to make yourself look completely clueless, I'm finding it quite funny that a Mac Fanboi knows f*ck all about the history of his beloved computing company.

Reply to
Conor

'Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!'

Seriously... who gives a shit?

Some people like Macs, others prefer PCs - so long as you're happy with your choice, why bother berating others 'bitch stylee' for favouring something different?

Reply to
JackH

Because it's funny watching people like Conor posting shit and getting angry.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes Conor although we called it "computing" back in those days and I had been "programming" computers since 1972. Mind you back then the best chance of getting your mits on a computer was if you had a degree, or two. I got my first personal computer in 1978, it was a Commodore PET.

No, I was involved from early days with personal computers and before that with mainframes.

At that time? NOS, ROMP and RSX-11M or indeed any of the OSen that understood hierarchical directories which MSDOS and CP/M did not.

But what does your question have to do with squat? Microsloth had nothing to do with CP/M and when I saw MSDOS (on the ACT Sirius in 1982) I fell about laughing, as indeed did everyone else in the department where I worked. The only think more laughable was when the IBM PC made its way into the same department later that year. It took several days for us to work out that IBM had launched a crippled computer with an 8 bit data bus, a laughable 16KB of RAM vs the 128KB in the Sirius and just one 160kB floppy instead of the dual 1.2MB floppies fitted to the Sirius.

And they had decided to ship it with just one OS. MSDOS also came free with the Sirius, but in the case of the Sirius since it also shipped with the much better CP/M 86, everyone threw MSDOS 1.0 in the bin.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We're all guilty of that from time to time though.

I'm amazed at how lengthy this thread is and how bitchy it's got over something as geeky as 'Macs vs PCs' though, even by this NGs standards.

Reply to
JackH

And yet they offered Altair the full IP for $6500.

Conor, you talk shit. Sadly for you not just on this subject.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Small edit needed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And I'm dead proud that I started it :-)

With very few words, I might add - I'm dead verbally efficient, me. Everyone knows that.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

No you're not.

You used too many.

No you're not.

No they don't.

(Play nice for another couple of messages, then we'll fit right in by starting off yet another VW vs Ford flame war and throw in an assortment of sweary insults too, yes?)

Reply to
JackH

Quite a major miss there. Along with the lack of a Bluetooth driver for a keyboard.

Perhaps. Just perhaps. I remain slightly hesitant.

Plenty of stuff comes close in terms of functionality if not user interface. And the Palm Pre looks to kick Safari into touch itself.

This simply isn't true and I suspect you know this to be the case. Charlie's complaints start at how much resource the application takes, the poor sound quality*, the poor music organisation if you dare to use another source of music, the attempts to lock the file format down and how unstable it is.

Reply to
DervMan

Mine contains facts. Steve's contains fanboi-isms.

Reply to
Conor

BWAHAHAHA. Shame the rest of the IT world disagrees with you, including your beloved Apple.

Reply to
Conor

Quite probably once it was obvious it died the death but only for the BASIC shipped with the Altair.

Please feel free to post links to evidence showing that I'm wrong.

I, on the other hand, can post plenty supporting me just from pro-Apple websites.

Reply to
Conor