What can I buy for £1800 that's fun?

D'oh! I was going to ask exactly which bit of my post you were saying "what???????!!?!??!" to. My mate's after a Celica of that age, and for a really nice one you're still looking at around 3 grand, but it should be possible to find a higher mileage one that's still been well cared for for a couple of grand.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No it's an 8valve, and sold. This is a 16v

Don't know the car though, there's a couple on the
site for sale

Heavier and slower than the BX, (LOL, not by much though), hasn't got that fantastic suspension, (good or bad depending on your prejudices), and more expensive. Having a 405 & a BX I find the Pug to be more of a luxury car, and the BX more sporty.

In article , stickit@up- uranus.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

This is the one I was going to suggest.

Also look at an early 9k as well.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Forgot to mention. While my 900 T16S was in for a Camchain, I had a 2.0 Ecopower LPT CDE (CD with boot, CS with hatch).

Didn't have the grunt of the a T16 when it kicks in, but a lovers spread of power that makes overtaking so much easier. The low pressure turbo comes in so much lower down. Sheer joy to drive. Also the gear shift is a lot shorter than on a T16 and with much tighter spring centering. Much more Vauxhall than Saab, but once you are used to it, make stiring the pot an absolut treat. Quick shift for the T16 coming up I think.

Also CS(E) models much more popular than the CD(E) models, but the boot is huge on a CD so most people wouldn't have a problem with it.

You could probably find a running 2.3 Carlsson CD for about £1500 if you look, but a later model Aero would be more pricey.

Saab 2.3 with a full pressure turbo, and a Maptun fettle would be an absolute killer. You can have as much fun as you like anywhere, you will run out of balls before the turbo runs out of boost.

for what they can do.Also have a look at this one in particular.http://saab.extremegames.de/stuff/9000Goodwood.mpg.zip This is BillJ's 300BHP+ Saab 9000 Aero with a lot spent on it. Sounds like Concorde on the outside when on a good run.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

>> 7

?1279 for a year, same as the LC

-- Chet

Chet

>>> 7

How does tax work in the ROI then ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

74

Nah, not with only 140bhp. Just a plain old 8v. Plenty quick enough though!

7

Thats huuuuuuuuuge!!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Yup; and as I said to Paul, they are tough pieces of kit that can survive a lot of abuse. This is why they're difficult to get a hold of these days - the owners who bought them because they were fashionable have long since replaced it, and most current owners realise that they're bullet proof!

Reply to
DervMan

Goes up every 100cc till over 3001cc

CC Per Yr Not Over 1000 144

1001 - 1100 216 1101 - 1200 239 1201 - 1300 259 1301 - 1400 278 1401 - 1500 298 1501 - 1600 372 1601 - 1700 394 1701 - 1800 461 1801 - 1900 487 1901 - 2000 513 2001 - 2100 656 2101 - 2200 688 2201 - 2300 719 2301 - 2400 749 2401 - 2500 782 2501 - 2600 915 2601 - 2700 951 2701 - 2800 984 2801 - 2900 1,020 2901 - 3000 1,056 3001 or more 1,279

-- Chet

Chet

Feck dat..... Sympathies. I know how high your insurance is, is there a good side to motoring in ROI?

No. :-)

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Nothing he is broke and owes money to the wrong kind of people. I would buy it but I am broke to well at leat I only owe money to the bank!! If anyones fancys having a look feel free, E-mail and I'll give you the address. Rich

Reply to
Richard Brant

So hes dodgy then ?

:)

Reply to
Dan405

Petrol is cheap(er), about 60p per litre.

You can drive for up to 4 years without taking any sort of test.

The NCT is a joke

No salt in winter

Ummm...

-- Chet

Chet

Define Dodgy

Reply to
Richard Brant

?!?!?!?!

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life !

Reply to
Nom

Agreed

But still best ride and handling in class

Pug is better built though, and should last longer

Agreed.

405 walks away with the looks though :)
Reply to
Nom

my vote goes for a 200SX turbo....

lots of fun with a brash rude engine and *involved* handling which isnt for novices......

Reply to
Theo

Could have ebought my mates.

Got £360, from a guy down south.

He paid £250 for it, has had a few jobs like the AMM done, was looking for £350-400, with tax and Ticket till december, but he reckons it will need valve guides soon as it smokes a bit, and a new rocker gasket, because it is weeping oil.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo