Yay and indeed Boo.

Have taken holidays this week, been off for the last 7 days - yay!

Back to work tomorrow - boo.

I love my job though - yay!

Been hooning about in the MX-5 - yay!

106 Needs an MOT - boo.

Payday next Friday - yay!

Discovered broken rear spring on MX-5 - boo.

(jpg of broken spring) Scored a couple of freebie rear springs off an MX-5 Modder/hillclimber - yay!

Scored a loan of a set of spring compressors - yay!

Some of my siblings returned briefly from far off lands and I got to see them - yay!

More yays than boos. Life is good.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Decided I've had enough of doing nothing so going to start another=20 business - Yay.

Sold my 2L Capri for more money than it cost me which is a first - Yay.

Found a really nice 3L V6 for sale up in Scotland - Yay.

It's =A3800 more than I got for my 2L - Boo.

Classic Ford show at Santa Pod next week which will either be a yay or=20 a boo depending on what I have to go in.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Sorry, but really nice, 3lt V6 and Capri really don't belong in the same post.

I can *almost* understand the 2.8i, but not the 3lt.

Isn't the old 3lt lump something like 130bhp?

Reply to
SteveH

Life could be worse on balance it appears :-)

Here -

Exhaust blowing on Ibiza - front pipe which includes flexi plus cat - £130. Boo A4 running spot on since AFM / stat / handbrake / seat adjust have all been fixed. Yay

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

But doesn't the 3L imply the older one, which IMO looks better?

Reply to
Clive George

I'm sure the 3lt could be had in a MkI (lovely cars), MkII (Very low rent - Dell Boy / Terry from Minder) [1], or MkIII (OK, but an Alfa GTV6 is much nicer).

[1] Write the feem toon, sing the feem toon.
Reply to
SteveH

Mk1 and 2 I think, phased out in later mk2s from memory. Essex swapped for Cologne, carbs replaced by injection.

Reply to
Elder

Yes. So you'd rather go for the engine with two exhaust ports serving 3 cylinders? Strange.

The Essex has proven far more tunable than the Cologne. A Cologne tops out at 200BHP due to the head design.

Reply to
Conor

Essex remained in the MK3 until 1982.

Reply to
Conor

This is assuming you're going to throw loads of money at 'tuning'.

At least the Cologne comes with reasonable power out of the box.

If you're going to tune either, you may as well junk the original engine and stick a Scorpio 24v in there.

Reply to
SteveH

I stand corrected then. I thought the boat anchor was long gone by then.

Reply to
Elder

Which is very true.

Reply to
Elder

And also very wrong, really...

Reply to
DervMan

And then they set them free!

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Well, it's either that or a V8.

The 24v Scorpio conversion should be easier to do.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes in the case of the Cologne, no in the case of the Essex. It's quite cheap.

20BHP more than the Essex. They're actually 150BHP, not the claimed 160BHP.

Indeed.

Reply to
Conor

Not really. It's becoming a popular conversion and it looks right at home.

Reply to
Conor

*V8 high five*

Easier, but a bit... well... V8s rule. If you're going to run to the effort to change it, may as well go for the eight.

Reply to
DervMan

Maybe.

On the other hand, 24v V6s can be quite special, too. In a different way, though.

Reply to
SteveH

I would go back to your GP and have him/her adjust your medication. Have you been sectioned yet?

Reply to
Clive