What it doesn't say on the tin

And you told everybody how wonderful they both were...

Noooooo sorry. It's not a 156 V6. It's as thirsty as one. It's a Tipo underpinnings with mild revisions to the set up. It requires some kind of dodgy blessing to change the belts. And by character you mean iffy build quality, road noise, tyre rumble and a wondering of what'll stop working next, then yeah.

There are damn good reasons why the Marea didn't sell well and why they're hard to find.

Reply to
DervMan

And the Fiat Tipo.

You forgot to tell us about the Cinquecento Sporting's links with Ferrari, too.

Reply to
DervMan

It's ugly, removing the main reason for buying cheap italian metal.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'm sorry, but you spent a couple of grand on less than 50BHP? Was most of that insurance? I have a bridge you might like to buy.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I think it's clear we're talking to an ERST owner here. And 250bhp is probably an 'owner estimate'...

Reply to
DanTXD

With me ugly is fine as long as it is fast and reliable.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

They are all slow?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Fraser Johnston decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Pah. At least the 155 handles well.

Although I was disturbed to learn it shares front brake pads with the Panda.

Reply to
Pete M

All the sporting derivatives of the Tipo chassis handle well. Apart from, maybe, the narrow 155, although even that isn't too bad compared with more 'cooking' stuff from other makers.

Reply to
SteveH

Main? Only.

Oops.

Reply to
DervMan

That's odd. I distinctively recall reading a comparison (in Performance Car) of the Tipo 2.0 16V with the mark three Golf GTI 2.0 16V. Their conclusion was that the Tipo was a better car (more room, mostly) but the Golf was a better hot hatch (it handled and rode better and had a more robust powerplant).

The mark three Golf GTI isn't known for its handling abilities yet it showed the Tipo the way home.

Reply to
DervMan

In news:fj_of.16014$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net, DervMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

When the widebody 155 was first released, it won a fair few group tests against what were considered to be the best handling cars of its type; the BMW 320i, Mondeo V6 Si (cost the same as a 2.0 155), and Laguna RTi sport thing.

Admittedly the Alfa won because it was more fun to drive than any of them, was better equipped than the poverty spec V6 Mondeo, cheaper and faster than the Laguna, and faster overall than the BMW (and easier to drive fast)

Car magazine called it "similar to an Audi A4, but quicker, better handling, and nowhere near as well built"

All I can say about mine is it works, is cheap to run, looks ok, and would probably handle ok if the N/S/F shock wasn't kaput.

Reply to
Pete M

I was looking for another Mondeo V6. The non-Si was basically the LX but with 15" steel wheels (rather than 14" steelies). It looked the same, it had the same equipment (apart from ABS and traction control) but of course it had the 2.5 V6 under the hood.

Couldn't find one though, heh.

If I had to pay the bills I would take the A4.

If somebody else were paying I would take the 155.

LOL!

Reply to
DervMan