What should I buy?

Not AFAIK, but they're available as aftermarket fitments both in Japan and over here.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

How about this little number.

Just love it for crapness.

Reply to
Mike P

Mate had a glass screened canvas hood fitted to his mk1, it's a huge improvement over then standard one.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Sounds like you were the main dealers best customer.

Reply to
Homer

No, I used a Jag trained mechanic with an excellent reputation charging a lot less than the main dealer. But I won't drive around in a car oblivious of the faults. Most jag owners tolerate non-functioning aircon, vents that don't umm vent, clunking suspension, worn bushes, non-functioning self-levelling suspension etc. And worst of all they skimp badly on maintenance of the V12, which should be a hanging offence.

I did "quite a bit" of maintenance myself, but I'm not short of cash and sometimes it's easier to get someone else to do the work.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I guess you just bought a lemon then.

Reply to
Homer

I guess you're just talking out of your arse.

Would you care to list how many Jags you've owned?

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's a bit cheap if it's as good as it looks....

Reply to
SteveH

Might I suggest there is a Celsior going with MOT until May and Tax=20 until August for pocket money if you fancy a giggle on the cheap.

I get 19-23mpg depending on the temperature/number of toys needed/type=20 of driving on the commute, and 28-32mpg when I need to do a good=20 motorway run.

Some piccies and a crap camera phone video with lousy sound (it doesn't=20 really sound like a bag of spanners as Pete, Dan, Conor, Douglas, and=20 Tim, and PeteM will confirm) at

My email works.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Can be beaten by a 1.8 Alfa turbo with only cheap mods.

Why get 2nd best? The Alfa 75 1.8 turbo has quicker 0-60, higher top speed and no doubt better mpg. But for a late 80's 1.8 turbo is still

0.5sec and 7mph off the pace, no doubt something to do with being 20bhp short on power, hauling spare doors around +40kg and 18% worse aero drag.

When someone is looking for second car as a toy, big n fat with a lazy N/A motor is not the way to go. At 1600Kg and 1700kg are quite definitely FAT. 67/64bhp/L is quite definitely LAZY - a modern turbo smoker really would be better. It's crap like that that makes the Diesel salesman an honest man when he says "Diesels are as good as petrol these days".

Reply to
Peter Hill

Might I suggest there is a Celsior going with MOT until May and Tax until August for pocket money if you fancy a giggle on the cheap.

I get 19-23mpg depending on the temperature/number of toys needed/type of driving on the commute, and 28-32mpg when I need to do a good motorway run.

Some piccies and a crap camera phone video with lousy sound (it doesn't really sound like a bag of spanners as Pete, Dan, Conor, Douglas, and Tim, and PeteM will confirm) at

My email works.

Reply to
Mike P

i'd go for something yank like these:

- ok over budget but i just love the look of it

- get some nice 20's and that'll look pretty good me thinks
- i quite like the old camaro's but i'd go for the 5litre RS if you can find one.
- butt ugly but i kinda like it for some reason

- bit of a haggle and that would be nice and different
- V8 5 litre ticks the right boxes

or go for a jap V8 like this

or a classic!

Vamp

... unless you've got a rollbar with a crossbrace in the car and find you can't put the window down.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Out of that lot, I like the Skylark and the Manta. I'm not hugely into Jap cars. What I really want is a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. I'll import one one day when I'm a bit richer and we've sorted the house move out. I *could* afford to do it now, but it would eat a massive hole in my savings!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Any particular reason for zipping it? Doesn't make jpg/vids any smaller, and I have to download 15M (slowly) to look at the pics.

Not that I really care. :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Agreed, that server is mind bendingly slow. It was coming at sub 50k/sec...

Reply to
Iridium

It dangles off my adsl line.

I zipped it to email. There was another interest that fell through.

Reply to
Elder

Possibly brake pads, although not for the MOT, Although it had brake work for the last one before I bought it.

When first started there is a slight exhaust whiff and the ventilation intake is low down on these, so it might have slight blow. But it goes in the first 5 minutes so the leak closes. It did have downpipe repair for the last MOT too (failed then passed so I assume repair rather than replace).

It is mechanically exactley the same as a UK LS400, but with higher spec toys. It even has the same wheels, but with Toyota center caps.

MOT wise I can't think of anything glaring that stands out as obvious. Tyres are good, branded at the rear, Colways on the front, and two more Colways to go with it as they came with the car.

Suspension is soft on these especially on coils. The airstruts were replaced with coils and shocks before. So it drives like an american car. More so with the pocket sprung seats which lean arround you. I think the rest of the air system is there though, just needs airbags if you got chance of a set cheap. I got it so there is a warning light on the dash flashing to say the air system is turned off, which it is, so I covered it with tape.

Reply to
Elder

neighbour has one, suspension squeeks like an old bed, rattles like f*ck. Having said that it's supposed to do 0-60 in 9.5 which I suppose is good for a lardy old heap like that....

Reply to
mike