What to do with the Golf?

My 8V is looking rather lovely, having been polished up and so on. Runs perfect, goes like stink, needs the suspension fettling but is a bloody good car.

However, I'm moving to Sheffield soon, which is making me worry about the thing getting broken into. My old 16V is still sat on the yard (nobody can start it) after having the cobra immobiliser ripped out of it by scrotes with less brains than Remus and that bloke who goes on about that barry boys website's lovechild. The 8v now has an disklock on the steering wheel whenever it's left alone, but I'm still worried about it.

Do I fit driver badges, lay it up in the shed, or flog it and get a diseasel ZX that only the blind would want to steal?

Reply to
Doki

BTW: I don't think that people will try to steal the car with a disklock on it, but I've had cars vandalised for no apparent reason in the past...

Reply to
Doki

Is this a digifant Mk II GTI?

'cause, I think the selling idea might be good. *nods*

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

It is, but it runs brilliantly (35mpg with me driving it, and speedy).

Reply to
Doki

make it look bog standard i would, hide the GTi badge in a draw in the house for a bit and stick 1.4 GL or something on the back and maybe fit a good immob

Reply to
Vamp

Unless you're mad enough to be moving to Manor Park, then I can't see there being a problem :)

If you're talking about theft of the car itself, the only real prevention is something modern. It's pretty much impossible to take a modern car without the keys or a tow-truck - but the thieves will happily try to obtain one or the other.

If you're talking about theft from the car, then you're screwed whatever. Modern windows are just as eaily smashed :) You need some security film -

Nom

Driver badges are a good idea. I loved my Driver to bits so I'd love an

8v GTI - I'm so jealous of my friend who I helped buy an immaculate 8V back when I was skint...
Reply to
fishman

What the hell are you doing to get 35mpg out of a digifant? I drove flat out to Edinburgh and mine wouldn't drop below 44.

But, I was meaning that selling it would be a good idea because then I might buy it ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Flat out? 44mpg? Is that flat out within speedlimits?

IT'S MINE AND YOU CAN'T HAVE IT. THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANY MORE. (Insert other playground type s**te here).

Reply to
Doki

95mph on the A7, lots of 4th gear, little bit of >100 along Foutainhall. I can drive fast when I want.

I mean, I drove from Jedburgh to Southend - 380 miles - at motorway speeds (so, around 85) with the sunroof open. I was running on Optimax all the time then, and it did the trip on £30 worth of fuel, 46mpg.

I honestly, truly, am not kidding here. Filled at Jedburgh with Optimax, reset the trip meter, drove, got into Southend with just below 1/2 showing, filled at the first Shell garage I found, and it took exactly £30.

I was convinced the MFA was screwed. I worked it out on my phone a few times because I didn't believe the MFA (after all, my 2.9 Scorpio used to say it was doing 33mpg average) - and it turned out the MFA was out.

By .1 mpg.

On the pessimistic side.

I don't think I'm an unusually economical driver. I get 33mpg from the Beetle average, the Supra I don't even want to think about. I have strong hooligan tendencies (50 miles of A roads, with two towns (done at

30 totalling 5.7 miles of slow traffic), done in 45 minutes in the 2.3 Scorpio Estate - cornering at 110 near Soutra Aisle).

When I swapped it for the Sera, I deliberate drove to get the best economy. By this time I'll assume to trust the average the MFA gave me.

I handed it over displaying 52mpg average.

I wish they bloody did still make them. Best car ever made IMO (excluding silly non-mass produced stuff or supercars, of course).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Damn, that'd be nice. My Trip Computer's been sat at a 25.9mpg average for the past few thousand miles - which would be fine, if there hadn't been quite a few lengthy motorway trips in that time :/

Reply to
Nom

Yeah, but it needs to be literally 95% plus long motorway trips for them to have any real impact on the long-term average.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes - but the Beetle is only a 1.6. My Golf was the 1.8. So much for modern technology, eh?

25.9 is about on a par with the Scorpio Estate (it does 28 on the motorway), and considerably better than the Supra manages most of the time.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Heh. The other week our overall average ticked up to 41.0. Over the last

50 tanks it's something like 47 mpg. This means I'm probably not driving fast enough. :-/
Reply to
DervMan

Heh, my ultra modern 1.6 has given 47mpg over a 65 mile journey, with a boot full of stuff in, about 2/3 dual carriageway dispatched at 80/85, the rest of it A roads dispatched at 70. I was quite proud :)

Of course, normally i get about 32mpg, just blasting between here and filey/scarborough on cold engine round the twisties :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Ultra modern? Not really. Modern, maybe.

Reply to
DervMan

What's the engine like on the 16Ver? ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Doesn't drink oil, but needs setting up - running rich and so gets shocking fuel consumption and isn't going as quick as it should.

Reply to
Doki