What would you do?

After much seaching I have found a Charger in Melbourne. Seems and has

107,000 original ks on it. It's not a VH which I really want. But I can change the front on it so I am not too worried. Guy wants $8500 and tells me the thing is immaculate and has had a roadworthy on it 12 months ago. I tell him I'll buy on the condition it has an RACV check and it checks out ok.

So it goes off to RACV today and the report comes back. Engine and driveline are perfect. Front end needs ball joints and tie rod ends which isn't the end of the world. Needs new front tyres. No big deal. It's on the original rubber it left the factory with. Interior is mint

And the bit that worries me:- Evidence of bog all over the car.

The last thing I want is a rusty shitbox so I call the mechanic. He tells me that there is evidence of bog and it looks like it has had a respray. He said he can stick a magnet to all the panels but when he taps it some of the panels sound a bit funny. He can't get the boot open so he can't tell me what it looks like inside the boot. He said when he put it on the hoist the underside is like brand new. So now I am in a quandry. This car looks ok in photos but may be rusty. Mechanic can't give me a definite answer other than "Be careful". I can't see the car because it is 3000ks away. I'm thinking I should offer the guy 7 grand and if the car is a rusty heap I can easily sell it over here for that. People are dying for Chargers in WA.

Thoughts?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

when your looking for this kind of car, it pays to be carefull.

Reply to
Theo

Remember that oily bits are easier and cheaper to fix than the bodywork.

If there's evidence of filler and a quick respray, then run away, quickly.

Reply to
SteveH

As an Alfa afficianado would surely know.

This looks like the course I might be taking.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Seconded.

Reply to
Conor

Yep. I can get a reco motor and box for about $1500. Panel work is big $$$. Even though I do have a friend who is a panel beater and I can respray myself.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston