Wheel bearings

Ding !

Correct.

That's what that hydraulic press and collection of pullers in the corner is for. Some of the smarter ones will also run a bead of weld around the inner face of the outer half of the bearing. This causes it to contract and it come out easier.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Is there any trick to getting rear wheel bearing out of the drum? Because after much beating and cursing I didnt manage to get mine out, and now they're bodged back together with a lot of grease. Any suggestions? Could i just take the drums to a garage and get the to get them out for a small sum of money?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

you probably need a hydraulic press to get them out. Remember they are an extremely tight fit, if it starts to come out slightly unevenly it will jam, its got to come out square to its bore. Find a little local engineering shop and see if they can help you out.

Reply to
Mark Craft

Dpends what type of bearing you are talking about With adjustable taper types a properly designed drums have gaps to allow you to drift the bearing, otherwise just careful use of a keyway chisel or an old tap ground to a suitable profile. It shouldn't take a lot of force, just stead working round bearing in a symetrical maner, hit it to hard and the bearing will tip cape & corner dig in and never move.

With double row integral types usual they can be drifted out with a suitably sized 3/4" drive socket again the trick is not to use brute force but some fairly gentle hammer work.

Reply to
AWM

ooooops! Found a place that will remove and replace them for a tenner, so will be off down there at the end of the week

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

That's exactly what I did when I did a rear bearing on my Astra van when I had it. Everything else was easy enough, but hammering away at each side alternately is not something I'm good at, nor have the patience to do, so I dropped it down to a local engineering firm, and a day and £20 later I picked up the hub (or is it hub carrier, can't remember now) with the old one off and the new one pressed on, then it was just a case of torquing it up. Much easier, and gave me that day to do more useful things.

Same went when I was doing the front bearings - a bloke at a local pump hire place that had been recommended to me pressed the old ones out and new ones in - all I had to do was bring in the strut and the new bearing, and he did the rest (he also had a big strong pair of circlip pliers instead of the crap weedy pair I got from Halfords). Gave him a tenner each time (which he politely tried to refuse, but I think it's only fair) - which was more than worth it considering that the rest of the job was basic unbolting/bolting back up, and splitting the odd balljoint.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

A trusted mechanic once showed me this, and it never ceases to amaze others. I deal with -large- agricultural sized bearings where you'd need a 20+ tonne press to push them out cold. But run some weld around where the balls used to run and usually they just drop out, no hammer needed!! magic.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Susprisingly enough the circlip pliers i brought from halfrauds at the weekend managed to get the beefy circlip off without breaking!

Theres a little engineering work shop just down the road, not sure if they'll have a press, but when i went there to pick a redrilled manifold for a mate i was most impressed with them, and they definately know their stuff!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs