Whoohoo, hot interior blower output.

The interior blower output has been totally and abysmally weak in the Celsior even on the highest speed, lowest temp, with or without aircon.

People said, change or remove then pollen filter. But then people said "

Reply to
Elder

...which if it had been maintained properly, wouldn't have been left long enough to get clogged in the first place. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Well, you buy a =A340k car for =A3800, and no service record, what do you= =20 expect. It was probably a few miles away when it last saw a dealer (like=20 Tokyo).

Actually, I joke, it was serviced by Lexus Glasgow judging by one of the=20 old tax disc holders in the glove box. Thing is, nobody knows that they=20 had them at that year.

People list filters (even in Japan) for the 1993 onwards face lift. US cars before 1993 didn't have cabin filters. The SC coupe/Soarer did get a cabin filter but with the two wingnuts=20 easy access. The cross over LS400's got a pollen filter with the same=20 system, then 1996 onwards it changed and was accessed from a hatch in=20 the base of the glove box on the LS.

But the Jap Celsior got one from the start, and was securely bolted in=20 for the life of the vehicle. Imagine an airfilter that hasn't been=20 changed in 120k miles. Now imagine trying to get air through that solid=20 sheet of dust, fluff and debris.

From Low: Nothing, might as well not be on, Medium: Whistles but little=20 flow, High: loud fan but an asthmatic breath on your knuckles but no=20 further, to, Low: You can feel it on your hands, Medium: No more=20 whistles and you can feel it on your arms/chest, High: Jesus, the blast=20 makes my eyes water:)

And the aircon cools rather than chills. Also, the crotch vent keeps the=20 family jewels acceptably ventilated too.

Just need someone to give the A/C a proper service and pressure test=20 before refilling with an R12 drop in replacement. Should work better=20 than trying to just drain and fill with R134a and oil, and be far easier=20 than using a full rebuild/retrofit kit.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Stone Roses-Shoot You Down

Elder

Not really. Blocked pollen filter and even aircon needing regassing isn't exactly a major problem. Aircon bust may be considered worse, but I'd expect normal maintenance like that on a car that cheap.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Was registered here in 98. But if the bollocks squady story about it being an embassy car has any truth, it could have been here since new, because it has a UK radio, and the glass is lexus/toyota in english, not japanese.

Reply to
Elder

No, seriously, it should be white/pale grey. It was black. It was black and looked like a solid heavy panel. It wasn't until I battered it on the floor then scraped across the top I realised that it had pleats and wasn't a solid foam filter.

It now looks dark grey and you can see a fair amount of daylight through it.

Reply to
Elder

The AC still blows cool rather than cold (makes a difference a warm day like today). It still dries a misty windscreen, and when you switch it on, the revs rise under compressor load as they should, so it looks like it is working. When the GT4 was out of gas completley, the rev rise didn't happen.

Reply to
Elder

Someone broke the windows and nicked the radio between 1998 and you buying it....

Reply to
SteveH

Just replace it with a pair of tights and move on :-)

Reply to
Iridium

When the Vee was out of gas the same occured, pressing the button got you a light on the dash, and nothing else. Now when you get the light, you hear a little clunk as the compressor kicks in, then the fans come on in the side pods, and you get merry amounts of face freezing air.

Reply to
Iridium

Every window, including the =A31500 compound curved rear windscreen, then= =20 after doing that, knew how to extract the aircon by removing a vent,=20 then knowing where, under the dash the radio bolts in behind the aircon=20 without damaging anything else. Right, OK. I hope he put his lottery on=20 at the same time. As it happens, a member of the Toyota enthusiasts club=20 has a 1997 Toyota Century ex embassy car, and this Celsior was uk=20 registered for the first time in 1998, so it more likely than the window=20 theory.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Isn't "Lexus" in Japanese spelled "Lexus"?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Alternative theory - given the kind of buyer these things appeal to, it has had every window taken out with a baseball bat.

Dunno about the radio, but just about every Jap import has had it's radio replaced by one that actually works properly in the UK by now.

Reply to
SteveH

You wouldn't be talking about the pollen filter, would you?

The one on the link is light yellow, those on the 928 are white indeed.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

A clunk, you don't get anything as mechanical as a clunk.

Reply to
Elder

I'll find the right Denso one, and fit it properly once the gas is checked and done.

Reply to
Elder

In 1991 it was spelt Toyota. Badge wise, my car only has one Lexus badge, and that has been retro fitted by an idiot. The original small Toyota badge that is normally on the left of the boot has been moved to the right with the large celsior badge. On a left a large vulgar Lexus badge has been fitted. I'm thinking of removing it and replacing it with either a large Tom's badge, or put the Toyota back there with a large TRD.

Everybody tells me that I should replace all the badges with Lexus ones, but the spec isn't anything as common as a Lexus.

Reply to
Elder

Should be a similar colour and shape to

is for the later model). Mine was just nasty horible black and totally flat with all the pleats filled on both sides.

Reply to
Elder

'I wanted a Lexus, but all I could afford was this cheap Jap. import'

Reply to
SteveH

The equivalent UK/US model didn't offer air suspension or adjustable damping, adjustable rear seats, twin zone AC, massage rear seats, and rear seat heating. Some was offered as standard on the LS as standard, some as option, and some not at all for a few years. The JDM Celsior/LS400 was always better equipped than the US/Euro model. The same went for the Harrier and Aristo.

Reply to
Elder