Whoohoo, hot interior blower output.

You're just jealous because you've not got the nuts to buy and run one.

Reply to
Doki

"I wanted decent car but work would only give me this"

Reply to
Doki

If I were buying a new car for £19k, to do what I need a car to do, there aren't any better options.

Reply to
SteveH

Maybe. But you still look like a cheapskate for buying one with a funny sized rear plate aperture.

Reply to
SteveH

Or perhaps, like me, he's not stupid enough to suffer the lottery of buying neglected, expensive to repair heaps of s**te.

Old barges make you look very pikey.

Reply to
SteveH

Yet strangely my then Lexus owning, now Aston owning boss said "wow, wish mine did this, even smells good".

Reply to
Elder

Your point is?

Face it, all cheap, ageing cars in that class make you look like some council estate pikey trying to impress the neighbours.

I wouldn't be seen dead in an LS400 / early 90s S-Class / XJ40 / E32(?)

7-series.
Reply to
SteveH

No, driving a Transit, picking whelks or flowers depending on the season, stealing calor gas canisters, ringing doorbells offering to sharpen knives or tar driveways and living in a caravan makes you look pikey.

Living in wales because it's cheap, driving a hateful eurobox repmobile through choice and driving seven million miles a year to eke out a living is the same thing.

Except the real pikey is free because he doesn't have to give a f*ck about what middle management sadsacsks think about him or his thieving gypsy bastard family.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Why, are you more a pvc than leather man? Soft touch rubber instead of quality hide?

I like it, I can afford to run it, it drives well enough for them money=20 and when waxed doesn't look out of place in a director's car park.

It is an =A3800 pound car, but like my =A3300 Saab, doesn't look it and=20 doesn't drive like it.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

True. But those types also tend to have Jap. Import 4x4s or luxo-barges for 'Sunday best', too.

Reply to
SteveH

Ahhh, 'new money' - paper millionaires.

Your point being? - I'm not trying to look as though I'm something I'm not by driving something that is preceived in very small and undersirable circles as being 'classy'.

50k miles in under 12 months is not something you'd do in some low-rent luxury clunker.

They may be in Liverpool, or even Cheshire. But, ultimately, they just shout the wrong image *very* loudly.

Reply to
SteveH

As opposed to a Lira millionaire like yourself then?

So, Mr Rich-From-Old-Money, why do those people who come from 'old money' tend to drive around in beat up old Landrovers and the likes then, instead of a new Passat or a Mundano that we apparently should all aspire to?

So you do mainly go on the image you project based on what the Daily Maul writes, combined with the usual lower middle class prejudices then, namely the fact that you have to show your ability to keep up with the Jones's rather than doing your own thing.

Sure, Steve, sure. Nothing to do at all with people who do run successful (smaller) businesses having enough business sense to work out which of the two options - buying a good quality, older luxobarge or a new reptile mobile - makes more sense economically.

But of course you wouldn't believe that I've done this sort of mileage in old 'luxury clunkers', partially because I had to and partially because it made more sense than chucking away a large-ish part of my income back then on a motor I didn't need.

Dude, since when have you been so concerned with image?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

So f*ck, if Carl was doing a job where he was *required* to do 50k miles a year they'd give him a repmobile to do it in. But he doesn't, and didn't feel the need to spunk a load of cash on something new just for the sake of keeping up with the Joneses...

Reply to
Abo

Yes, "New Money" Millionaires drive Pikey old Jags etc. Proper old money millionaires drive Volvo 240/740/Series Landy/Rangie Classic/Lada Niva etc. Never ever seen a proper millionaire of any kind bragging about their lease contract passat.

Reply to
Elder

Exactley. Even the Octavia was too much invested. Nothing went wrong, and it would have still been pricey if it did. The particular rangie I bought was a bit too far in the wrong direction, but even that was fun, and if I had diagnosed the dizzy cap (instead of ignoring as it had already been replaced when I first got it) earlier, before the vandals got to it, I would still be driving it now, as the LPG was was just setup perfectly.

Reply to
Elder

Yes, really... if that's been neglected, what else has been neglected...?

I appreciate it's not one of the up there essential to the cars well- being service items, but the point is, if you're buying something like this on the cheap, it tends to be because it's all you can afford, (else you'd be buying a newer one with documented history if they really are your bag and not just a bit of 'Flash Harry', and this

*really* isn't a dig at anyone), and thus the last thing you'll be needing financially is something expensive on it biting the dust.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

On the other hand is -even when maintenance is neglected- the concept of the car is far superior to "cheaper" (when new) cars not to mention that the luxo-barge due to their appetit for fuel often have low mileage and are generally less ragged off than the average rep-cars.

Concerning the pollen filters which were a major PR-gimmick of GM with the new Astra some 15 years back: some manufacturers place them in such strange places that they are often overlooked.

Finally: maintenance itselve. On most thread of the mill-cars maintence is an other word for 4 liters of oil, a new oil and air filter everij

10-15 kmiles. But check their maintenance schemes and what is supposed to be performed: impossible to do in the allowed time and budgetframe.

A friend (Fiat salesman) did the test with his own vehicule and clocked the mecanic doing the maintenance while keeping a close eye on the imposed procedures: time was overrun by 300%...

Only the top end brands, this even limited to sports cars, do the maintenance to the letter: at Porsche *all* brake fluid, gearbox oil is changed ion yearly basis. I still have to come across another make where they do it (and yes: changing brake fluid is in their scheduled program). Better still: an official Ford dealer flatly refused to flush the brakefluid on my Sierra Cosworth: "the ABS-pump is too complicated for us."

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Jealous?

No, I'm not jealous...

How many more times do I have to reiterate that I don't *need* a money pit along these lines, and thus I've got an alternative that does exactly what I want / need from a car at the moment.

I commute to work by train, walking to and fro the local station, so our car(s) don't get used that much really at present; ergo, if anything, I can probably justify running a barge more than someone who relies on their car to commute to work everyday.

I choose not to - I don't need one, it won't give me any more of a hard-on owning one than my existing cars, and besides all this, I have more money for pies as a result.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

So why go to the trouble of locating several hundred pounds worth of secondhand lexus headunit, when a simple band expander would be pikey enough, or alternativly an Aldi, managers weekly special plastichrome single din RDS CD player with a badly matching surround adaptor if they were feeling particularly playful?

Reply to
Elder

You of course are absolutley correct. Skoda can't make them that expensive. Superb Comfort 2.5 V6 TDI Tip 160bhp =09 206 =09 F =09 =A318785 =A319040 Unless you go for the much bigger smoother better engine.

Standard "- ABS +EDL + ASR + MSR + ESP (2.5 V6 TDI 160bhp only)

- Acoustic parking sensors (rear only)

- Alloy wheels 7 J x 16=3D3F =3D3FOrnate=3D3F and 205/55 R16 91W tyres

- Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors with lights=20 illuminating the door area

- Front and rear door sill covers

- Rain sensor wipers

- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror

- Cruise control

- Illuminated rear leg room

- Multi-function steering wheel (cruise control and radio)

- Small leather pack: steering wheel. Gear knob and gaiter, handbrake=20 handle

- Storage slot with removable Ski-sack behind the rear armrest

- =3D3FSymphony=3D3F radio with in-dash MP3 CD player with 6 CD autochanger= =3D3F 8=20 speakers

- Umbrella holder, with full size umbrella in the left rear door

- Upholstery trim Emotion velour (Onyx and Ivory)

- Auglare d=E9cor (door panels, centre console)"

Optional "Heated front seats (must be selected when ordering leather seats) =09=A31=

80 Upholstery Victoria fine nappa leather seats (Onyx & Ivory) =09=A31,470 17=3D3F alloy wheels =3D3FX-tended=3D3F (Comfort upgrade) =09=A3300 17=3D3F alloy wheels =3D3FSolid=3D3F (Comfort upgrade) =09=A3250 Satellite navigation system, colour (including disc) =09=A31,800 Alcantara upholstery seats (Onyx and Ivory) =09=A31,470 Acoustic front parking sensors =09=A3260"

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Stone Roses-Shoot You Down

Elder